Ryan Gosling 'K' - Blade Runner 2049!

Received my SR in the post today(£320 bargain on eBay from a lovely gent). Very happy with the base product and fit(XL fits me perfectly at 46" chest, 38" waist and 5.9ft)but I'll have to think about some of the modifications you have outlined Count.

The current closure system isn't fit for purpose so that's the first. Ill look back in the thread for the magnet closure.
yes you can find a lot of solutions here going back in the thread.

probably you have at least an half size more than me, but maybe I'd got a regular fit from an XL, have been lucky that my size L fits me snug and not too tight, SR sizing fits snug I'd say, you made a nice deal anyway.

I think the closure they put is the most useless closure I've ever seen in a outerwear.
But if you're gonna read enough back in the pages, you'll find out that I also put a zipper on my bep coat, and that's exactly the same I'm gonna on my SR, I created a chest thin nylon shield which fold internally when open to be not visible, but also put magnets of course, since I don't often use the zipper to close the coat (just when I ride a motorbike, for example).
In my bep I simply moved some magnets to do fine adjustments to my size (and also replaced some of them with stronger ones), there were 5 couple of magnets on my bep and it was enough, I'd say two couple are not even needed (if you have to deal with relevant airflows, without a system like the one I created, the air will pass through the part not held by the magnets, and I find useless fullfilling the entire length of the edges with too many magnets which may also then catch them together in the wrong position if they are too many), on my SR I put just 3 couples magnets (1 exactly at hook n eye position so it won't random open any more, 1 mid chest, 1 upper corner just 1 inch below the right shoulder panel-collar junction, all super strong each neodimium from hardware store, incapsulated in vynil layer then in piece of fabric whatsoever (sewed), and then sewed to the back of the fur/buckram I added, they work great, but on SR I also put magnets on the collar (2 couples just to hold the proper open position in the left side of collar and left lapel to keep folded correctly + 1 in the left chest for the same purpose matching the left collar angle magnet.
If you plan to change the fur for another type, you have to take into account that the work must redone since magnets and fur are sewed together in most cases.

My zipped additional closure, I explained it a bit, I simply made that triangular nylon shield, sewed one the sides of the zipper at it, the other side of the zipper sewed along the longitudinal junction between lining and fur/fabric, from the side of throat to about the hook level, double slider. Probably I could also another zipper to make it removable, but it's not visible, you just wear the coat and fold the shield internally, it stays pressed against your chest and doesn't move from there, you can't see it from the outside, except when you use it and close it, before closing the double-breast over it

Last edited:
yes you can find a lot of solutions here going back in the thread.

probably you have at least an half size more than me, but maybe I'd got a regular fit from an XL, have been lucky that my size L fits me snug and not too tight, SR sizing fits snug I'd say, you made a nice deal anyway.

I think the closure they put is the most useless closure I've ever seen in a outerwear.
But if you're gonna read enough back in the pages, you'll find out that I also put a zipper on my bep coat, and that's exactly the same I'm gonna on my SR, I created a chest thin nylon shield which fold internally when open to be not visible, but also put magnets of course, since I don't often use the zipper to close the coat (just when I ride a motorbike, for example).
In my bep I simply moved some magnets to do fine adjustments to my size (and also replaced some of them with stronger ones), there were 5 couple of magnets on my bep and it was enough, I'd say two couple are not even needed (if you have to deal with relevant airflows, without a system like the one I created, the air will pass through the part not held by the magnets, and I find useless fullfilling the entire length of the edges with too many magnets which may also then catch them together in the wrong position if they are too many), on my SR I put just 3 couples magnets (1 exactly at hook n eye position so it won't random open any more, 1 mid chest, 1 upper corner just 1 inch below the right shoulder panel-collar junction, all super strong each neodimium from hardware store, incapsulated in vynil layer then in piece of fabric whatsoever (sewed), and then sewed to the back of the fur/buckram I added, they work great, but on SR I also put magnets on the collar (2 couples just to hold the proper open position in the left side of collar and left lapel to keep folded correctly + 1 in the left chest for the same purpose matching the left collar angle magnet.
If you plan to change the fur for another type, you have to take into account that the work must redone since magnets and fur are sewed together in most cases.

My zipped additional closure, I explained it a bit, I simply made that triangular nylon shield, sewed one the sides of the zipper at it, the other side of the zipper sewed along the longitudinal junction between lining and fur/fabric, from the side of throat to about the hook level, double slider. Probably I could also another zipper to make it removable, but it's not visible, you just wear the coat and fold the shield internally, it stays pressed against your chest and doesn't move from there, you can't see it from the outside, except when you use it and close it, before closing the double-breast over it
Your definitely right about the closure being terrible. I'll maybe looking into getting the right type of fur first then and do it all at the same time.

Took your advice and tracked down an old Zara sweater, so it's a "close enough" till I find the proper sweaters by some miracle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240611-234214.png
    Screenshot_20240611-234214.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Your definitely right about the closure being terrible. I'll maybe looking into getting the right type of fur first then and do it all at the same time.

Took your advice and tracked down an old Zara sweater, so it's a "close enough" till I find the proper sweaters by some miracle.
it's exactly the same as me, I believe. I just sewed some elastic cloth inside the cuffs, bottom, and neck edges, to make the sweater more resilient, I personally dislike when those parts start to loosen too much, even if in the movie, the neck sometimes seems to be overstretched and distressed, but in reality, I think that's the point a garment will start losing quality (and then tear soon).
That zara sweater is very nice, but I figured those parts where not solid enough to last my daily use for longtime.
Dunno if SR choice not to feature any magnets for the proper closure, it has been done to let the owner be free to customize it without having to deal with glues and magnets to be moved, risking to mess with the fabric by doing it, I bought some garments without closure because I was willing to do it myself from the scratch in the right way, but at least, in those cases, the garments costed a bit less...

Last edited:
I might follow suit as I intend to wear mine a lot this winter to add natural weathering. Iv ordered two to be safe. Was yours more navy in person as it looks dark in the pic but I a aware that lighting and camera play a big role.

True. I'll have a think about what I want to do as a don't see myself wearing it done up too much.

I might follow suit as I intend to wear mine a lot this winter to add natural weathering. Iv ordered two to be safe. Was yours more navy in person as it looks dark in the pic but I a aware that lighting and camera play a big role.

True. I'll have a think about what I want to do as a don't see myself wearing it done up too much.
the original color of my zara sweater (the darker one) was navy, I just put it in a washing machine cycle with powder dyes mix (added grey,emerald green and a bit of brown), it didn't change that much but it gaves more of a particular tone, now it's a very dark bluyish grey.
The other one I have (by Only&Sons) was kinda dark violet, same treatment and now it is navy with some violet reflexes.

What I feared about my SR, was the resilience, because it is a terrific cloth, in some ways it is solid, but I was used to my indestructible and completely water repellent modified and waxed bep.
So, since it continues to rain here (it seems like forever, now), today I gave a light coat of Greenland wax with bars on my SR, having already tested it on another jacket that even resists washing in the washing machine, and does not overcoat, nor grease, nor requires too much time, since SR is already waxed with acrylic, but now it is even more scratch-proof and waterproof than before, I feel more confident in not risking ruining it, it will also protect more from the cold weather. Obviously it is a crazy move, typical of some of me, but I would say that this time it was completely right, I did not take any risks.
Unlike more radical waxes (such as otter or barbour dressing), since the bars (especially this greenland one) are not only long-lasting after a few easy washes, but also drier and give very little more sheen (which with SR is not even needed), I find it has also further increased the color.
Here just applied the wax, and then after finished with the hairdryer and sponge.
The water, as already shown by achilles was already sliding off quite a bit, but on mine I found it was getting a bit soaked, when I tried, but now, as in the video, it slides off almost all of it and the remaining drops do not penetrate the fabric...perfect
IMG_20240612_193502.jpg
IMG_20240612_195802.jpg

Attachments

• VID_20240612_200106.mp4
    13.3 MB
Last edited:
Struggling to find a sweater with the same knit. This is the closest iv come but there are elements that are not correct.
Not a perfect match, but those details of the collarbone line are very nice, I guess it could be tweaked to be very close to the SA model I like the most

I'll try modding and see which looks better.

Here's what I have so far(not as handsome as Mr Gosling unfortunately)...View attachment 1829852View attachment 1829853

View attachment 1829850
It's already a nice blade runnery outfit.
Of course, it's not that easy to fix SR pattern closer to SA level, here someone did in the past, then I recently finished mine, some details will remain different but it also depends on the body/face type, but I can do something by myself, if you plan to ask a tailor, the mods are better to be planned in person if you can't diy. Anyway, some tweaks are better to be made after others, so if you already know arent going to settle, maybe better write the steps of what you would change, so as rationale not to do something to be redone again later (like fur and magnets, which must be ine before the other and not the contrary)

The outfit will likely spend most of its time on display as the Convention scene here in Scotland has been ruined by greed.

I'll outline all the mods like you say then sit down with a tailor and plan it out. I'll likely use your posts as a guide, so thank you for taking the time to go into detail.

In the meantime I'll keep trying to find the accurate sweaters or buy then mod something close enough.

The outfit will likely spend most of its time on display as the Convention scene here in Scotland has been ruined by greed.

I'll outline all the mods like you say then sit down with a tailor and plan it out. I'll likely use your posts as a guide, so thank you for taking the time to go into detail.

In the meantime I'll keep trying to find the accurate sweaters or buy then mod something close enough.
yes the most crucial part (if you really wanna get into serious tweakiing about SR pattern) is to be extremely careful and precise at your face measurements when redoing the collar-lapels. The solution I found works great, but if your face-neck is way larger than the proportion with your body size (and this I dunno, but a skilled and careful tailor would know how to consider about the situation if it's the case), it would be necessary to understand if it's necessary to put a limit to that intervention (possibly, even sacrificing a bit the SA aspect) and of course, that before cutting/reshaping those parts: the major risk, is that the collar won't close correctly/completely anymore, but I believe that's only about borderline cases like having a neck as Iron Mike, SR collar is huge and should have room for that.
I obviously didn't put so much measurements on the forum, since everybody has his own body shapes, and for the ones who are not personally skilled in it, a good tailor in front of you can be the only solution for such fine tuning. The few ones I wrote are for my size (178cm 75kg middle way between mesomorph and long-limbed, athletic and ripped but not swollen, nose quite long but not too much and so on, it's something to be done in person with a lot of dedication and possibly rechecking the work-in-progress several times before fixing/sewing a crucial part)

Last edited:
Does anyone have a nice close up of the knit pattern on the two SA sweaters?
nobody is answering, so if you mean Theory or Rag&Bone models, I guess noone (at least the ones still following the thread) has one of those sweaters.
But, as for the different coats used by the production we already largely argued, here is even more evident, we're talkin' about 2 different sweaters.
Personally, I'd like to have one in the weave and color of the baseline test version (blue distressed honeycomb) but with the reinforced shoulder seams of the black Theory one, that I found really cyberpunk stylish.
It has already been noticed, that Theory model (the one in the pic) is no longer made from a while (from the vid I posted time ago from Uniforms of the Screen).
About what I'd like to have, it's probably utopic, but I'm not struggling, I can settle on my zara and only&sons honeycomb sweater, they match properly the color with the entire outfit I have (pants and coats).
It's unlikely to find a sweater with a cells-like texture together with that precise type of shoulder reinforced seams, if not even the br2049 production matched the two things together (it probably never existed), but if I find another honeycomb sweater with those stitching details (so SA cuffs, bottom, and above all, shoulder seams the same as Theory first movie model), I'll try to make do with the color then.

Immagine.jpg

Last edited:
At this point I am just trying to get something that is close enough to. My hope was to get a quality close up to try and match as close to as possible. I managed to find one of the Zara sweaters and a Dry fit one that's reasonably close but the search continues for the SA ones.

I'll have a look for the only&sons honeycomb sweater you mentioned thank you.

At this point I am just trying to get something that is close enough to. My hope was to get a quality close up to try and match as close to as possible. I managed to find one of the Zara sweaters and a Dry fit one that's reasonably close but the search continues for the SA ones.

I'll have a look for the only&sons honeycomb sweater you mentioned thank you.
it's the same of my previous pic where I shown both, they are practically the same, but only&sons one (old collection too) is thinner and more bluyish (after my color tweaks, it started from a violet tone)

Next one I am looking at buying is the Outerknown East Bank sweater if anyone has had luck with that?
for us (here in Italy) it seems sold out...looks great and sturdy, but it's another one without the typical shoulder seams of office k black model (it's probably impossible to find them perfectly matched)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back