Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser closing?

A few things to keep in mind about her video:

Trips as troubled as her's were statistically very rare. Even at the point where she tried to pull as many similar posts as she could find, there were only a handful out of 72,000 guests who experienced the Starcruiser, which in its 18 months of operations earned the highest guest satisfaction ratings in the history of the company. (It's a shame she had a bad trip, but all of her speculations as to why that occurred are incorrect.)

Her video is being shared around as a "definitive" look, but she dismisses the majority of guests who sincerely enjoyed themselves, and whenever she encountered a story element she was unfamiliar with, rather than researching what it was, she just said she didn't know and moved on. A big part of the joy of the immersive theater aspect of the experience was the continuous simultaneity. There are many rooms on the ship, and scenes pushing the story forward happening at the same time in different locations. You'll see things others won't, and others will see things you won't. It created a really satisfying collaborative environment where guests worked together to piece together the multidimensional narrative.

Other youtubers have made more comprehensive attempts to document as much of that story for others as they can:

It is best to take Jenny's videos for what they are - anecdotal, observational, and comedic. I don't see her videos as a "definitive look." She already states that some of her negative experiences were likely unique (c.f. her "Sacraficial Lamb" theory), but she does have opinions based on universal experiences as well.

I think her statements about the lame marketing were spot-on. At the end she makes a compelling observation about the Disney's current theme park strategy having disturbing pay-to-play parallels.

Still, I think that, over time had the Starcruiser survived, it would have inevitably ironed out a lot of the initial bumps, misfires and growing pains of any new attraction. The problem is that, at several thousand per stay, precious few folks are going to be able to afford to do this more than once in a lifetime, if ever.

I do have the sense she went into this with sincere hope for a positive experience, and she said many positive things as well. If you watch her other videos you'd know Jenny doesn't relish in finding things to gripe about. She really does love theme parks (and kitsch - but especially kischy theme parks).

I do have the sense she went into this with sincere hope for a positive experience, and she said many positive things as well. If you watch her other videos you'd know Jenny doesn't relish in finding things to gripe about. She really does love theme parks (and kitsch - but especially kischy theme parks).

She's mentioned in some other videos that she used to work for/at the Disney parks, so I think she's also got some insider perspective. She knows people "on the inside" and has some insider knowledge from experience. I tend to give her anecdotal observations some weight as a result.

Basically, I suspect she knows more than she can (directly) let on.

She's mentioned in some other videos that she used to work for/at the Disney parks, so I think she's also got some insider perspective. She knows people "on the inside" and has some insider knowledge from experience. I tend to give her anecdotal observations some weight as a result.

Basically, I suspect she knows more than she can (directly) let on.
Roger Roger…

It’s the obvious corners were cut and the end product shows that. And the abysmal failure it ended up being drives that point home. It was too expensive and not that compelling for its price point.

If I spent that much money on something that mediocre, I’d convince myself it was pretty good as well.

All of these YouTubers that have ZERO affiliation with Disney executives, but somehow know ‘The real reason’ why…

To be fair, she worked for the Disney park for years - hosting talky rides and such - and had a deep obsession with theme parks. This isn’t like an angry YouTuber complaining for likes - she doesn’t make vids just to complain.

She did 4 hours on her experience at another immersive experience, Evermore, that was equally as interesting - and I’d never even heard of it before.

I watched all 4 hours of this review and it was REALLY interesting. And she WANTED it to work out - she’s one of those “Disney Adults”. LOVES Disney. She plays along, she dressed in her own costume and character - they totally let her down.

I’m glad she’s getting a lot of attention on this… I mean CNN posted it.

Funny her perspective tho against JC, the producer of Kev smiths podcast and owner of the Scum and Villainy Cantina… he looooooved his experience.

But maybe they didn’t seat him behind a pole?

My comments on the Jenny Nicholson Starcruiser review...

About 5 minutes in, I thought the review would be a bit of a struggle to get through 4 hours. I watched it in bits and pieces. It felt kind of annoying and towards the end it almost turned into a hate video. I can't believe she actually has a joke / hate song for the credits. But I guess she likes Star Wars as she has a bunch of items in the background and does cosplay during the review. The sad thing is I still haven't seen Rise of Skywalker or a few other Star Wars shows but I watched this 4 hour review. So maybe it's time as I'm sure I'll enjoy Rise of Skywalker more than this Starcruiser review. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing Keri Russell's character and seeing how cool Rey will be since I continue to debate getting a Hot Toys figure of her.

Anyway, the review seemed to be structured like those Red Letter Media Plinkett Star Wars reviews without the dark humor plus made for views with the title "The Spectacular Failure of the Star Wars Hotel." Very attention grabbing words which she even says is on purpose. Personally, I don't think anything is truly a failure. You can always find some positives. I don't like the Prequels or first two Sequels. They were financially and artistically successful. But as stories, they were failures to me even though I can still give moments from each that I like.

However, it seems like negative stuff gets more traction online and it's popular not just to hate Star Wars these days but want whatever project to fail. It's very polarizing in some places that I check. Even calling the Starcruiser the "Star Wars Hotel" is a bit negative, even though she mentions why she calls it that and why that's in the title. But if Disney simply wanted a Star Wars Hotel it would have been bigger and more dramatic with an exterior designed like a building in Star Wars to go near Galaxy's Edge. I'm not going to give easy ideas either.

She did point out my obvious thing with the drive up to the Starcruiser noticing the building and back of Galaxy's Edge. But unless you aren't that creative, you shouldn't need any sort of design or art degree to realize that. Plus she mentioned a few other ideas I didn't mention here which I thought was good.

Too many people talk about the cost. She mentioned money a lot in the video and even breaks down her per minute cost. Which honestly, I don't think I've ever done a per minute cost with anything except old phone bills and certainly not something that is entertainment. But financially everyone sees things differently.

I remember someone not wanting to pay .25 cents in the arcade for Street Fighter and thought it best to just save the quarter to put towards a future home version. Also back in the day, I went to a popular live magic show dinner in Las Vegas and the ticket price was like $100 per person. Someone I met there thought that was a lot. However, around then I would also pay like $100 for import videogames. I didn't really think about how the value or time spent would compare. Also, I got my first yearly Disney pass in college and didn't consider it a big financial strain.

I see people online with armies of $20+ Black Series Storm trooper / Clone trooper figures and I think Black Series figures in general are too expensive. Anyway, when I looked at a few Starcruiser reviews and cost breakdowns it didn't seem that bad. The experience seemed to be made for families or really close friends that love Star Wars and enjoy playing dress up. Kind of like the people that look forward to dress up during October for Halloween. However, she either slipped or just said that her videos will pay for the trip. That just feels wrong to me with people talking about costs and this 4 hour review with a person basically talking to a camera for the majority of the time, will most likely cover the cost of multiple Starcruiser trips. Plus, I guess she'll be a VIP at whatever next Disney park experience because of the number of people she can possibly "influence." It doesn't make any sense to me.

She did seem a bit bitter and even said she was frustrated and stressed while making the reservation. Actually many times in the review she mentioned being frustrated. I've never been frustrated making any sort of trip reservation. Or at Disney Parks in general as that's a happy place. But I'm good at picking the time I go as well. She should have asked for a supervisor before taking the trip. Especially since she was an early participant and from what I gathered from other Starcruiser videos, Disney was still working things out. But some things about her experience definitely were upsetting like her dinner table location and that she couldn't get the story to work.

Another thing, if you really want to enjoy something you shouldn't watch more than a few seconds of trailers, nor listen to corporate hype, or whatever news sites or "influencers" (a term I despise) masquerading as unpaid marketing. Many times it seems like some companies put just as much if not more effort selling something than designing it. I believe in enjoying experiences as blank as possible. For example, I still haven't fully watched the commercials for Starcruiser just clips that were shown in various reviews. Unless something is closed, I don't understand watching someone else on a vacation. But perhaps I'm just old fashioned and remember the days of travel agents and small paper brochures. And even then I would only get a Disney map when I arrived at the park.

About the games on Starcruiser, I enjoyed spinning my first realistic lightsaber prop, which I assume many others did as well. So a somewhat interactive lightsaber game still looks cool to me. Plus, with the bridge shooter, I played many on rails shooters back in the day including this big one in the arcade. I still listen to the soundtrack. So the Starcruiser bridge shooter seems like something with really good graphics.

galaxian3_theater6-S07E05-7.jpg

The Jenny Nicholson review once again proved that a lot on youtube is a personality test and about finding an audience. I saved and watched one of the I think two Ordinary Adventures Starcruiser videos that someone posted here. That was the only youtube channel clip that I recognized in Jenny Nicholson's review. I only check a handful of channels monthly. Also, I found this Walt Disney World News Today (WDWNT) channel and website which made three Starcruiser trips with reviews plus videos of a lot of stuff on the Starcruiser. All the rooms, items, etc. This was the review where I learned that Disney started giving everyone iPhones to use on the Starcruiser because of something going on with different app versions on the various personal phones.

The WDWNT reviews don't add up to 4 hours. Also the views of those three reviews added up don't come close to the views Jenny Nicholson is getting for her review. Which honestly confuses me although I suspect I know the reason. I saw mention of her review here and on a videogame site I check occasionally. But personally I found the WDWNT stuff better since it's not just the reviews but a guide with the photos and videos. I liked seeing all the rooms, food and drinks. Perhaps some of that was shown on the official Starcruiser site but I don't know as I never checked it.

Complete Guide to the Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser - WDW News Today

In the end, Jenny Nicholson's review didn't change my mind in wishing that I took a trip to the Starcuiser. It's strange too as I've only been on a few cruise ships when I was young and tend not to like them. But this was Star Wars. So I'm still hoping that it will get some kind of re-release.

PS - I did find her Spider Quest video more entertaining than the Starcruiser one. In the Starcruiser video there is a clip of her with a scary giant spider stuffed animal in an old West town. It's almost as big as she is.

I have a thing for stuffed animals like many kids growing up. I still have a big stuffed animal from FAO Schwarz, which she mentions in the video. Plus my first Mickey and Figment stuffies. So her trip to acquire the spider, which turned out to be from Harry Potter was fun. I'll probably take a trip to check out that Western town as well as it reminded me of Westworld and an Old West Park which doesn't exist anymore. Which I mentioned before that I thought the Starcruiser was an attempt at close to a Westworld or Star Trek holodeck experience. We are still far from that but still these attempts are building towards some thing really cool one day.

Funny her perspective tho against JC, the producer of Kev smiths podcast and owner of the Scum and Villainy Cantina… he looooooved his experience.

Disney has a history of cutting off trips, promotions, mentions, and other goodies for influencers who don't give them good reviews. If your content is your livelihood, well, there's a conflict of interest there.

So Jenny deserves kudos and some serious respect for bucking the trend and putting in the extra work to bring value to her content, without Disney support.

Disney has a history of cutting off trips, promotions, mentions, and other goodies for influencers who don't give them good reviews. If your content is your livelihood, well, there's a conflict of interest there.

So Jenny deserves kudos and some serious respect for bucking the trend and putting in the extra work to bring value to her content, without Disney support.
She also mentions that some of the bigger influencers were treated with alternate and exclusive events and perks at the Starcruiser. Jenny's experience as a "secret shopper" is probably more informative for the general public.

Juuuust in case… I should clarify “JC” has no Disney affiliation and is lucky they haven’t shut down his “cantina”…

He went on the absolutely last day as a wedding gift from kev smith and loved it.

Personally I think I’d hate it from what I heard. Let me enjoy a cruise in a Star Wars universe… I don’t need a side quest scanning boxes

Again, the probably winning solution is a hotel themed in the universe in park which they have tons of successful experience with. The size and scale of Animal Kingdoms would be insanely cool. Full scale Tattooine Cantina inside. Maybe a Canto Bight high end restaraunt. Etc etc.

Again, the probably winning solution is a hotel themed in the universe in park which they have tons of successful experience with. The size and scale of Animal Kingdoms would be insanely cool. Full scale Tattooine Cantina inside. Maybe a Canto Bight high end restaraunt. Etc etc.
They won’t be able to afford that if they keep producing products that drive away the fan base.

A few things to keep in mind about her video:

Trips as troubled as her's were statistically very rare. Even at the point where she tried to pull as many similar posts as she could find, there were only a handful out of 72,000 guests who experienced the Starcruiser, which in its 18 months of operations earned the highest guest satisfaction ratings in the history of the company. (It's a shame she had a bad trip, but all of her speculations as to why that occurred are incorrect.)

Her video is being shared around as a "definitive" look, but she dismisses the majority of guests who sincerely enjoyed themselves, and whenever she encountered a story element she was unfamiliar with, rather than researching what it was, she just said she didn't know and moved on. A big part of the joy of the immersive theater aspect of the experience was the continuous simultaneity. There are many rooms on the ship, and scenes pushing the story forward happening at the same time in different locations. You'll see things others won't, and others will see things you won't. It created a really satisfying collaborative environment where guests worked together to piece together the multidimensional narrative.

Other youtubers have made more comprehensive attempts to document as much of that story for others as they can:

Jenny was a Disney cast member back in the day (Disneyland) and has that level of insight into park function. I watched her videos over the years, and while she looks college age she's actually in her 30s and has some life experience. In general, she gives a well thought out and reasoned deep dive of the topic du jour. She is a big Star Wars fan, and loves classic Disney. Her recent Youtube 4-hour diatribe can be summed up in the last 20 minutes, starting at the 3:43 mark. My take-aways:

1) Disney's Galaxay's Edge /Baatu was meant to have a more immersive and interactive environment. Fans were promised it at the D23 Expo and with concept art, and in multiple official Disney announcements. BUT... a large part of it never materialized for the average guest, presumably because of the increased $$$ employee and maintenance costs. So the daily Disneyland / Hollywood Studios guests were already missing out (Jenny says the guests were "robbed")
2) Disney saw a way to monetize these "extras" and moved these experiences behind a paywall, the Galactic Starcruiser. It's amazing how some of the the Baatu concept art was repurposed and used for the Starcruiser (including the main restaurant).
3) The Starcruiser itself shows obvious signs of cost cutting, from how/where you arrived to check in (you were back stage in a parking lot), the bare bones "waiting" queue to even get into the hotel, the small scale of the Starcruiser's environments and rooms, the simple box truck that was made up to look like a shuttle transport so you could "fly" from your orbiting Starcruiser down to Baatu, the fact that Disney overwhelmingly used young college age new hires (The Disney College program) to help staff the Starcruiser and therefore pay lower wages, etc.
4) There were MANY guests who had a great time... but at ENORMOUS personal expense. And those good experiences were thanks to the dedicated (lower wage) Cast Members, not because of anything else that Disney Corporate did.
5) Jenny pre-purchased a $160 Memory Maker photo add-on to her trip, where a Disney photographer would take pictures of you during your trip for digital download later. When she arrived, Jenny discovered that the Disney photographers were essentially pulled to cover $300+ family portrait packages, and there were none available to take the lower tier package photos. When she went through regular channels to ask for a refund (since she wasn't able to use her pre-paid package), she was flatly told "No." It wasn't until she Tweeted about it on Twitter to her thousands of followers that Disney QUICKLY got back in touch with her and issued a refund.
6) The special Halcyon R2 Droid she purchased ($200) and had Disney to ship to her home never arrived... again, she went through regular guest channels and could not get any help from Disney. But once she complained on Twitter... the Droid quickly appeared, with a bunch of other Disney Tat.
7) ... so her argument is that, if she wasn't an online "influencer" she would be just like every other Disney guest with the Halcyon/Starcruiser experience, and likely not receive any assistance from Disney for these issues.

Last edited:
Jenny was a Disney cast member back in the day (Disneyland) and has that level of insight into park function. I watched her videos over the years, and while she looks college age she's actually in her 30s and has some life experience. In general, she gives a well thought out and reasoned deep dive of the topic du jour. She is a big Star Wars fan, and loves classic Disney. Her recent Youtube 4-hour diatribe can be summed up in the last 20 minutes, starting at the 3:43 mark. My take-aways:

1) Disney's Galaxay's Edge /Baatu was meant to have a more immersive and interactive environment. Fans were promised it at the D23 Expo and with concept art, and in multiple official Disney announcements. BUT... a large part of it never materialized for the average guest, presumably because of the increased $$$ employee and maintenance costs. So the daily Disneyland / Hollywood Studios guests were already missing out (Jenny says the guests were "robbed")
2) Disney saw a way to monetize these "extras" and moved these experiences behind a paywall, the Galactic Starcruiser. It's amazing how some of the the Baatu concept art was repurposed and used for the Starcruiser (including the main restaurant).
3) The Starcruiser itself shows obvious signs of cost cutting, from how/where you arrived to check in (you were back stage in a parking lot), the bare bones "waiting" queue to even get into the hotel, the small scale of the Starcruiser's environments and rooms, the simple box truck that was made up to look like a shuttle transport so you could "fly" from your orbiting Starcruiser down to Baatu, the fact that Disney overwhelmingly used young college age new hires (The Disney College program) to help staff the Starcruiser and therefore pay lower wages, etc.
4) There were MANY guests who had a great time... but at ENORMOUS personal expense. And those good experiences were thanks to the dedicated (lower wage) Cast Members, not because of anything else that Disney Corporate did.
5) Jenny pre-purchased a $160 Memory Maker photo add-on to her trip, where a Disney photographer would take pictures of you during your trip for digital download later. When she arrived, Jenny discovered that the Disney photographers were essentially pulled to cover $300+ family portrait packages, and there were none available to take the lower tier package photos. When she went through regular channels to ask for a refund (since she wasn't able to use her pre-paid package), she was flatly told "No." It wasn't until she Tweeted about it on Twitter to her thousands of followers that Disney QUICKLY got back in touch with her and issued a refund.
6) The special Halcyon R2 Droid she purchased ($200) and had Disney to ship to her home never arrived... again, she went through regular guest channels and could not get any help from Disney. But once she complained on Twitter... the Droid quickly appeared, with a bunch of other Disney Tat.
7) ... so her argument is that, if she wasn't an online "influencer" she would be just like every other Disney guest with the Halcyon/Starcruiser experience, and likely not receive any assistance from Disney for these issues.
Finding the force had a somewhat same experience with a busted lightsaber.. once he started posting his experience on YouTube things changed quickly…

a 4 themed hotel would be awesome. JUST A HOTEL. You could have Empire theme, Rebel theme, scoundrel theme, Bountyhunter theme... then everything that goes along with those. Maybe each wing has a ship-type-area..

4 wings of the hotel each has its own theme and character workers. The blended parts could be just strictly planetary or something.. the restaurants, shops, pool etc.. themed to wherever the resort is.. so you could have themed hotels. one in Texas for desert places, one for Colorado for maybe Alderaan or Hoth.. one for California for Endor and one for Tattoine... one in Florida for Scarif.. one in New York, Chicago, LA for Coruscant.. Seattle for Kamino or MonCalamari areas.. etc.. you get the idea.

If you want to dress up, all the better. If you want to hang out, fine.. if you want to take the shuttle to DW if its in Orlando, cool... You want to just stay in the hotel overnight.. great!

Kids would love it.. adults would love it.. families would come back to stay in the other wings.. or in the other city location themes.. it would be like a tailored kind of experience because there would be games you could participate in, or little scenarios... or you could do a little academy for the Rebels or Empire or Bountyhunters.. you could accept little missions to maybe go on with another actor.. even outdoors.. like hikes and scavenger hunts on the planet cities you are staying in..

And make it affordable. Stay for a week. be recruited and change sides perhaps.. lots of interaction and fun. People would want to stay at the hotel.

Dont make it 5000 per 2 night visit. Choose your own level of involvement.. if you want the extras then go pay to a-la-cart them for a day or a week or whatever.. or book it all up front with a travel agent.

Maybe a themed celebration week for each hotel! Perhaps its Moisture farming harvest festival.. maybe its independence celebration on Coruscant.. or maybe its Empire week across the galaxy.. or its the Death Star 2 destruction celebration on Endor.. Hoth olympic week.. who knows..

Thats my idea. if i was a kid i would love it. And parents would hear all the time... lets go to Scariff! or i want to see Chewie.. or can we go to Endor?

its not going to happen.. but that would have been cool....
I worked at a few different Renn faires for several years...I had been going to them as a patron for more than decade before I worked there, and still go every year.

and it will never stop being a combination of mildly amusing and deeply sad how much the artistic directors of the faires think the audience is actually there for this weird super-anachronistic poorly-acted soap opera that you can't possibly even follow without watching at least 4 of the 6 most boring shows of the day.

People do like that there is a background show, and everyone wants to see the King/Queen walking around being all regal. The fact that the main characters seem to have some sort of relationship really does add a lot to the show, but in the 30 or so years I've been going, (other than the times I was paid to be a part of it) I couldn't tell you with a gun to my head what the "plot" was. That's really isn't what most of the people came for.

I would love to sleep in a Star Wars room, dress up in costume, walk around the ship, play the card game. I'd be more than pleased to spend WAY too much money on drinks with food coloring in them, and chicken tenders that were renamed after some obscure monster. I WOULD show up to some of the shows, and cheer, and laugh, and clap, and have a grand old time.

What I never had even the tiniest bit of interest in was spending thousands to awkwardly avoid eye contact with other patrons as we all spend multiple days acting out a preplanned storyline where we're mostly just NPCs.

It doesn't matter how many times success stories like Diagon Alley teach this lesson, there will always be artistic directors who think they know better and waste millions trying to prove it.

Back