Spaceship from Concept Art -WIP Scratch Build- UFP RV Montgomery Scott

Impressive work, of course, but praise from me is completely shadowed by the luminaries above.

I WILL be watching.

As an aside, everyone is familiar with the hot pin method of rivets? Sometimes plastic is too thick or in place to allow reversing.

My own meeting of Mr Doohan was him doing signings at a college bookstore.

He was cordial but rather quiet...

... until I stepped aside and was followed to the table by a pair of coeds.

Katsu- Thank you very much. Your body of work in modeling is second to none. I look forward to your next build.

TheBeast- Thank you. I am aware of the "hot" pin method. It works well but, in my opinion, requires a bit more skill to control.

Kreativebox- Appreciate your comment... most scratch building has given way to amazing software and hardware solutions.
Those are cool, but I enjoy the challenge of brain to hand to material...and being at the bench, rather than at the computer.

Joberg- 100% accurate.

kermet- Thank you kind sir, glad you're feeling inspired. I am delighted to watch your wonderful builds as well

Worked on the bottom plate of the bow. The large green octagon is a 1960's vintage clothing button, and so is the
round blue dome in the recessed area. The large faded green square is the center of a kit sprue tree.

55 Bottom front start (a).jpg

Filled it up with details, perhaps a bit too much......Once I get into the "zone" the time flies by quickly, and much gets done.

56 Bottom panel complete.jpg

Moved over to the nose, which has two different sloping angles. Building these out to accept upcoming antennas.

57 Nose panel.jpg

The antennas are K&S brass telescoping tubing, combined with florist wire. A few got primed,
the rest will get their chance later. I'm not sure why, but I really enjoy making these.

58 Antennas stacked.jpg

All antennas are supported inside the ship hull by styrene hollow tubing. The antennas are made much longer
at the base than will be seen, so they just slide in and stay in place on their own.
They will remain removable and not be glued....

60 Antennas test in front.jpg

Antenna area now complete. Front face plating next....

59 Antennas loaded.jpg

The front plate received less detailing...and is now complete.

69 Nose Front plate.jpg

Till next time...

Thanks very much for your approvals stevielewis, joberg and Cosmicquest.

Cosmic- I use florist wire, also called "stem" wire. It comes in a variety of sizes. Here's my stock that I purchased from the
US chain Jo-Ann Fabrics. Most have glossy green paint that needs removed. You can find it at most arts/crafts stores,
in the artificial flowers department .

Florist wire.jpg

Thanks very much for your approvals stevielewis, joberg and Cosmicquest.

Cosmic- I use florist wire, also called "stem" wire. It comes in a variety of sizes. Here's my stock that I purchased from the
US chain Jo-Ann Fabrics. Most have glossy green paint that needs removed. You can find it at most arts/crafts stores,
in the artificial flowers department .

View attachment 1827676
Thank you for the reply! I'll have to go get some. That seems like it would be so much better than heat bending the small styrene rods for my piping.

The guns on the ship are small, and I mostly followed the design from the concept art.

61A Guns on sketch art.jpg

Based on the frustum of a pyramid, this familiar shape is widely used in the Star Wars universe. I drew up the
individual wall shapes on paper, and taped those to .04" (1mm) styrene. Cut them out and began assembly.

61 gun turret base start.jpg

The interior will support 3 short guns I made of two sizes of brass. I built this support frame with styrene tubes,
firmly fitting the outer diameter of the widest section of brass.

62 Gun support frame.jpg

The triple gun support assembly slides into place, here checking for fit.

63 brass inserted.jpg

Starting to detail the main structure....

64 Gun base details.jpg

The 2nd structure receives its details...antennas were made from .02" (.5mm) florist wire or .016" (.40mm) brass.

65 Gun bldg. 2.jpg

Complete and ready for primer.

66 Complete gun.jpg

A simple base plate was added..

67 Complete gun with plate.jpg

Till next time...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back