Spaceship from Concept Art -WIP Scratch Build- UFP RV Montgomery Scott

Looking amazing!!

I’ve grown to become a big supporter of modern 3D modeling and printing, but nothing beats traditional modeling and construction techniques. This project is a true joy to watch and read. It’s honestly motivating me and helping me to stay-on-task with a project of my own… thank you.

Also, thank you for posting regularly. I really look forward to seeing your new posts and rereading what’s been done. Mostly, I appreciate your skills.

Cheers! —

Thank you very much BajaTym. Glad the old school modeling is keeping you inspired to complete your own project..
I would hope that's the ultimate goal: inform, acquire and retain folks into any hobby, through any reasonable means.

Plus, I learned many years ago with my own forum memberships that posting consistently kept people interested in your builds,
even if the subject matter isn't their own. Balancing/life/work/family/hobbies is certainly a challenge,
but even one photo from a build can motivate someone... somewhere... to do something.

Sophisticated/expensive tools for modeling get some people excited to join in, but it can scare others off.
For some, just paper, pencil, caliper and a ruler can start you down the path to create...

Very well put, thanks.

Myself, I try to balance the use of advanced tools (printers and lasers) with Old-Skool handcrafted artistry in all my builds. However, I tend to get distracted and often take years to finish projects.

Regardless of the end construction method, I nearly always start with countless pencil and paper sketches. Although, over this past year I’ve began shifting towards using an iPad for most of my sketches.

Unfortunately, the iPad has led to many concepts being “lost to the layers” of the app I’m using. This forces me to regularly scrub the hidden layers to ensure concepts never get abandoned/forgotten.

Anyway, you do great work and I think you for sharing your skills.

Now, get back to WORK and post MORE content!! (Jokes)

Began assembling the bow (or front "third") of the ship. There are a total of 15 individual sections/plates.
First, I glued the individual sections which contain the antennas. I slid them in, keeping them un-glued,
to align the pieces and ensure that they are easily removable.

70 Start attach nose panels.jpg

The "nose" was next...

68 Attach top panel.jpg

I finally was able to mount the "window mask strips" behind their plates..

71 Attach windows.jpg

Each light box will have 2 separate pieces of .030" (.75mm) styrene as diffusers, which also dim down the brightness...
and even gave it a slightly blue tint. Exactly what I was trying to achieve.

72 Diffuser lights.jpg

Mounted the boxes behind the windows, using black "Tulip" paint as light sealer/blocker.

73 attach light boxes tulip paint.jpg

Lighted sections are ready for mounting....

72 Sections ready for glue.jpg

The long narrow strips of light boxes at the "belly" also received the 2 sheets of .030" (.75mm) styrene treatment,
Checking brightness here....

74 Attach bottom lights.jpg

Glued down the windows, and then proceeded to attach the sides..

75  side under weights.jpg

Now that all lights are installed for this area, was able to solder their wires in place. I use copper tape for voltage busses.
Also allowed for any additional resistors that may be needed to balance brightness later on.

76 Solder.jpg

Till next time...putty and paint...

Began assembling the bow (or front "third") of the ship. There are a total of 15 individual sections/plates.
First, I glued the individual sections which contain the antennas. I slid them in, keeping them un-glued,
to align the pieces and ensure that they are easily removable.

View attachment 1833549

The "nose" was next...

View attachment 1833550

I finally was able to mount the "window mask strips" behind their plates..

View attachment 1833552

Each light box will have 2 separate pieces of .030" (.75mm) styrene as diffusers, which also dim down the brightness...
and even gave it a slightly blue tint. Exactly what I was trying to achieve.

View attachment 1833554

Mounted the boxes behind the windows, using black "Tulip" paint as light sealer/blocker.

View attachment 1833556

Lighted sections are ready for mounting....

View attachment 1833558

The long narrow strips of light boxes at the "belly" also received the 2 sheets of .030" (.75mm) styrene treatment,
Checking brightness here....

View attachment 1833560

Glued down the windows, and then proceeded to attach the sides..

View attachment 1833561

Now that all lights are installed for this area, was able to solder their wires in place. I use copper tape for voltage busses.
Also allowed for any additional resistors that may be needed to balance brightness later on.

View attachment 1833563

Till next time...putty and paint...
Beautiful work Carl! I know I'd be busting those antennas off left and right with my clumsiness, lol.

joberg- Yes sir, I'm painting just this section, then moving onto the midship...

Cosmic- Right, that's why I made an "antenna holder" out of a block of wood to store them safely,
and only placed when necessary.

Baja- HAHA...Thanks...I know you're eager for more action, the next update should be fairly soon.
I have to paint outdoors so that requires near zero wind and rain. Not easy to do in Florida
in the summer.

Baja- HAHA...Thanks...I know you're eager for more action, the next update should be fairly soon.
I have to paint outdoors so that requires near zero wind and rain. Not easy to do in Florida
in the summer.

Yes, sir. I understand. I lived in Florida for several years, the humidity is a punk!!! Thanks for seeing my playful "pushing" as it was intended, just being silly. You do great work and I'm thankful you're sharing.

Last sections were glued on.....

77 More attachment.jpg

Thinned "Perfect Putty" was applied to the seams and other areas with a syringe. In preparation for painting, I made
small foam core inserts to friction fit into all my window openings, then some masking tape to hold them in place.

78 Foam core window covers.jpg

After some light leak tests and fixes, primed with flat black first.

79 Black Primer.jpg

81 black primer 3.jpg

82 black primer.jpg

After the black primer dried, a flat white was applied..

83 White Paint.jpg

84 White Paint.jpg

85 white Paint.jpg

Till next time...A LOT more to go....midship is next..

Last sections were glued on.....

View attachment 1834934

Thinned "Perfect Putty" was applied to the seams and other areas with a syringe. In preparation for painting, I made
small foam core inserts to friction fit into all my window openings, then some masking tape to hold them in place.

View attachment 1834935

After some light leak tests and fixes, primed with flat black first.

View attachment 1834936

View attachment 1834937

View attachment 1834938

After the black primer dried, a flat white was applied..

View attachment 1834939

View attachment 1834940

View attachment 1834941

Till next time...A LOT more to go....midship is next..
Looks great! I love how the coat of primer and paint really brings everything together.

Back