The Last of Us HBO Joel Thread

I actually didn't even consider going up a size. I probably will do that lol
Are we 100% certain it's the midnight blue and not the slate blue? And does crossley make different t shirt models? Asking because if you search on Yoox, separate colors and sizes show under different "crossley t-shirt" listings.

Are we 100% certain it's the midnight blue and not the slate blue? And does crossley make different t shirt models? Asking because if you search on Yoox, separate colors and sizes show under different "crossley t-shirt" listings.
I'm 1000% sure. But yes, grab a size up if you can.
I’m pretty sure it’s style 12633399IK because of the layered ribbing fabric at the end of the short sleeves.

But also remember, they broke down this shirt. Weathered it etc.

I guess I'm living with my L.

Last edited:
View attachment 1683380

Just got my Dark Wash 505's from a friend who kindly sent them to me from the US, and with that I sort of collected all the items I was going for. I will probably add the boots in the long run though, because they do look really nice and my current pair of aging hiking boots need a replacement.

Seeing the jeans in person, I wonder if they're any different from the "Sunset Down" variant that Levi's sells in Europe or if it's just a name change. They are lighter than they seem in the pic and feel real close to that true color photograph Pedro Pascal posted on Instagram where he's standing with Bella Ramsey.

The jacket is obviously the best piece out of all. You know you've purchased something worth the money you spent the minute you hold it in your hands. It's a beautiful design and feels like it'd withstand a nuclear blast. I bet the more you use it, the better it'll look. And it goes particularly well over the Fjallraven shirt.

As for the River Island shirt, not much to add other than it'd need to be dyed to match the show look. It's super comfortable and looks fine to me other than the darkened areas over the pockets. Like I've said before I'm not looking to cosplay, so I'm not gonna age these things or modify the Fjallraven shirt, however I do like the color of the River Island shirt in the show better than the retail original, so if anyone figures out the best way to go about customizing that one I'd be interested to hear.

Just got my river island shirt, have learned anything about how to customize the shirt to look more like the show? I reckon they must dyed it somehow.

I'm 1000% sure. But yes, grab a size up if you can.
I’m pretty sure it’s style 12633399IK because of the layered ribbing fabric at the end of the short sleeves.

But also remember, they broke down this shirt. Weathered it etc.

I guess I'm living with my L.
Good to know about the sizes! I am fairly certain that L would be to small for me, usually go L but they recommend XL which is out of stock currently.
If they had both, I would ordered both Steel grey and midnight blue and probably kept both given that steel grey is equally good looking.

Bought a lum-tec super combat b2 last night. I guess this is happening.

received_618778140108585.jpeg

If you're after a pair of the irish setter boots, I'd firmly advise trying them on before you buy. I visited a red wing store and tried both the trailblazers and elk trackers before settling on the elk trackers (I find them more comfortable). Despite the insulated and non-insulated ones supposedly being the same outer shell, the insulated version were a perfect fit for me, whereas the same size in the non-insulated (the show accurate one) is actually a tad tight in the toe area. I paid a good $50 extra for some red wing orthotics, and they're well worth the price difference. The stock insole (assuming you can find a vintage pair with that still intact) is paper-thin and flimsy. I'd also advise, if you have wider feet, go wide. I wear skechers and nikes fine but adidas are always tight on me. Any narrower and there's no way these would have fit.

I'm still debating removing the outer tongue to make them "show accurate". It's the easiest mod, weathering aside, but I imagine it being there helps waterproof them.
20230414_104416.jpg

If you're after a pair of the irish setter boots, I'd firmly advise trying them on before you buy. I visited a red wing store and tried both the trailblazers and elk trackers before settling on the elk trackers (I find them more comfortable). Despite the insulated and non-insulated ones supposedly being the same outer shell, the insulated version were a perfect fit for me, whereas the same size in the non-insulated (the show accurate one) is actually a tad tight in the toe area. I paid a good $50 extra for some red wing orthotics, and they're well worth the price difference. The stock insole (assuming you can find a vintage pair with that still intact) is paper-thin and flimsy. I'd also advise, if you have wider feet, go wide. I wear skechers and nikes fine but adidas are always tight on me. Any narrower and there's no way these would have fit.

I'm still debating removing the outer tongue to make them "show accurate". It's the easiest mod, weathering aside, but I imagine it being there helps waterproof them.

Aren't the 861 Elk Trackers definitely the show boots? Is there an argument for the Trailblazer model I missed? Pictures of Pedro Pascal seemed to hint at a higher boot under the jeans.

Aren't the 861 Elk Trackers definitely the show boots? Is there an argument for the Trailblazer model I missed? Pictures of Pedro Pascal seemed to hint at a higher boot under the jeans.
Like the backpack, he changes them later in the season, after he visits Tommy. I prefer the pilot outfit, plus again, I'm aiming for a comfortable practical outfit. I'm at the point where I could cosplay Joel but I really just like the clothes for daily wear.

Like the backpack, he changes them later in the season, after he visits Tommy. I prefer the pilot outfit, plus again, I'm aiming for a comfortable practical outfit. I'm at the point where I could cosplay Joel but I really just like the clothes for daily wear.

Yeah I'm the same, I haven't really decided on the boots yet but I do like the Elk Trackers. The Trailblazer ones though seem like a very similar design in a less intense boot that'd work well for a wider range of situations.

What are the two pairs he uses in the show though? I'm not sure anyone mentioned anything about the second pair yet.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm the same, I haven't really decided on the boots yet but I do like the Elk Trackers. The Trailblazer ones though seem like a very similar design in a less intense boot that'd work well for a wider range of situations.

What are the two pairs he uses on the show though? I'm not sure anyone mentioned anything about the second pair yet.
One site (I honestly forget which) quotes the trailblazers as the 867s--that's the older model, now out of production, with the older round circle logo. The newer model that's widely available is the 878. Logo aside, the biggest difference is color. The older models tend to be this warmer toned, earthy colored leather, the newer ones a colder, more chocolate brown. I haven't studied the trailblazers from the show enough, but if they have the older logo then they're probably the 867.

The trailblazers aren't used in the show. The boots he gets from Tommy are another pair of Elk Tracker 861s. He wears those the remainder of the season. Cynthia confirmed as well in a podcast or social post, that the boots in "2003" are the same style boots used in the whole show; they are kept the same. You can see if the boot shots in the hospital rampage the higher ankle height in his jeans as he's moving around as well.

Screenshot when Tommy drops them for Joel. Clearly the 861's.
20230220_144441-jpg.jpg

The trailblazers aren't used in the show. The boots he gets from Tommy are another pair of Elk Tracker 861s. He wears those the remainder of the season. Cynthia confirmed as well in a podcast or social post, that the boots in "2003" are the same style boots used in the whole show; they are kept the same. You can see if the boot shots in the hospital rampage the higher ankle height in his jeans as he's moving around as well.

Screenshot when Tommy drops them for Joel. Clearly the 861's.
View attachment 1690936
Is Cynthia just mistaken then? This was her reply when asked:
Screenshot_20230414_154643_Instagram.jpg

I would say yes, either mis-remember or a mistype. You can see the Elk Tracker 861 ankle speedhook in a bunch of shots throughout the series, and its the only boot that has that.
I said in a different post, I bet the Trail Blazers were considered, but they went with the Elk Tracker.

This is just like Deborah Nadoolman Landis saying Indy's boots in Raiders were Red Wings, when we all know they are Alden 405s.

Which grey shirts did you go with?
Left one is the River Island, and the Right one is a Mossimo I found on eBay. Slightly smaller pockets than the RI, but has the higher yokes and is a lighter material that's a bit more flexible. It's also a bit shorter in the waist.

This is fantastic. I've been gathering parts and reference pictures to make my own. I just wish I knew what sliders they used for the side straps...
Assume something widely available and commonplace. The maker was a small time operation that I believe they mostly hired because aside from cost she was onsite in Canada.

On that note, I'm more and more inclined to believe the sweater under the fjallraven very much  is the todd snyder. I had doubts, but I called a couple places and verified that those crewnecks are indeed made in Canada, which may have made it easier to bulk order. You can also verify the white color from the stitching around the v shape below the neck in still shots. The stitching is still stark white, despite the sweater being aged/dyed (typically with commercial dyes the fabric takes the dye well because of natural fibers, but the stitching usually doesn't).

I've been looking online off and on for a few weeks, and haven't had any luck of finding that buckle. Maybe something that is only available in Canada?

I've been looking online off and on for a few weeks, and haven't had any luck of finding that buckle. Maybe something that is only available in Canada?
Ok. Well, I have good news and bad news. Did some digging. The standard looking buckles--the ones that go over the twin straps that secure the open main compartment of the backpack in place--are fairly standard, and I can recommend a hardware supplier if needed. That's the good news. The bad news is that the military looking buckles, these:
FB_IMG_1681741108229.jpg

were entirely custom milled. If you were hardcore enough, I assume you could have someone here mill them if they had the hardware, or maybe potentially 3d print them and then cast them in metal. There are a few sort of lookalikes if you google "metal cinch buckles", and these almost look like they were taken from a flight or military harness of some kind. I get that the ones from the show were custom made, but the game version, like the watch, presumably had some sort of real world inspiration. I'd like to think something similar exists out there.

Back