The Last of Us HBO Joel Thread

Pics of the backpack pre-dye courtesy of the original maker. Jameel Ur maybe you can use this as a reference. I'd be in for a bag from you.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1681347574639.jpg
    FB_IMG_1681347574639.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 158
  • FB_IMG_1681347572010.jpg
    FB_IMG_1681347572010.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 160
  • FB_IMG_1681347570509.jpg
    FB_IMG_1681347570509.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 159
Hey all,

Could you let me know, what's the story about using two different backpack in the show?
I have watched the show but I couldn't noticed when he changed the backpack.

Thnaks,
Jameel

Joel Episode 5 Backpack.png
the-last-of-us-episode-1-pedro-pascal.jpg

Do we know the brand/model?
They were custom made from scratch, not altered. It's why nothing off the rack looks quite right. They weren't even lined, just backpack shells.

Personally I prefer the first model. I'd like it as a functional model so as to take on the daily commute. I think the second one is really only practical for maybe camping.

Been planing on buying the flint and tinder jacket but since I don't like in the US, I need to be sure I get the right size.

Have anyone any bought the jacket and could share their experiences?

My details
Weight: 194 lbs
Height: 6"
Chest: 41 inches
Hips: 38 inches

According to their chart I should go L but some people say it runs small. I wouldn't want it to fit too big.
I'm quite athletic built with broad shoulders, circumference of approximately 50 inches.
Get a large. Amazon offers free returns if the size isn't quite right. But you absolutely want a Large. Medium will be too small.

Hey all,

Could you let me know, what's the story about using two different backpack in the show?
I have watched the show but I couldn't noticed when he changed the backpack.

Thnaks,
Jameel

View attachment 1690353View attachment 1690354
Jameel Ur this is the best most color-neutral reference I've found.
tumblr_ce214893e65b1e702e7fc140370f6287_bc02f89d_540.gif

Most people mistakenly buy the coffee color backpacks, but the color tone is too warm. At this angle it looks more of a chocolate brown, but my guess is it's a light chocolate brown, like a pale, washed out color. The backpack maker was a smaller indie operation, it makes sense that it'd be a lighter paler color if they hand-dyed it.

Apologies, I started this thread forever ago and didn't receive notifications on updates. I'm really happy it's gotten so popular! I adore Joel's style, hope everyone here is able to find what they're looking for.

Has anyone had any success identifying the undershirt he wears underneath the fjallraven? I saw some posts saying they thought it was a Todd Snyder, but is there confirmation on that or is that speculation?

Apologies, I started this thread forever ago and didn't receive notifications on updates. I'm really happy it's gotten so popular! I adore Joel's style, hope everyone here is able to find what they're looking for.

Has anyone had any success identifying the undershirt he wears underneath the fjallraven? I saw some posts saying they thought it was a Todd Snyder, but is there confirmation on that or is that speculation?
Honestly no idea, but I found a substitute at Walmart that they posted. Like the backpack, the watch is kind of my focus at the moment. But I did a lot of deep diving, and worked with the creator of the watch from the show to part out every piece of Joel’s watch.

Honestly no idea, but I found a substitute at Walmart that they posted. Like the backpack, the watch is kind of my focus at the moment. But I did a lot of deep diving, and worked with the creator of the watch from the show to part out every piece of Joel’s watch.
I thought long and hard about the watch, and the reality is, I think it depends on what you really want out of it. Recreating one is going to be a lot of time and effort, but it's a fun project if you enjoy the hard work. Alternatively, Meister, which released the original "replica" years ago via the Playstation merch store (the same one that goes on ebay now for upwards of $1000) is planning on rereleasing their version. See details below:

It's a fun novelty costume piece that's probably accurate to the show in the sense that the show watch was also a costume recreation, and it'd be great for a cosplay. Alternatively, if you wanted a real, functional, high-end watch, you'd likely be better off trying to find the lum-tec super combat b2 that the game watch (and in turn the show version) were originally based off of. I sort of think the side-by-side speaks for itself.
1681401748689.png

1681401802958.png

I like a lot of Joel’s wardrobe in the same way that I like K's Blade Runner clothes, which is that I'm ok not having something weathered or worn down exactly like the show in favor of a functional garment. I bought the fjallraven shirt too. I can't be bothered to invest the money or time altering it (I simply don't think it's a nice enough piece to warrant the expense) but it's a fun shirt to wear with the jacket, and if you know, you know. Just my two cents.

I thought long and hard about the watch, and the reality is, I think it depends on what you really want out of it. Recreating one is going to be a lot of time and effort, but it's a fun project if you enjoy the hard work. Alternatively, Meister, which released the original "replica" years ago via the Playstation merch store (the same one that goes on ebay now for upwards of $1000) is planning on rereleasing their version. See details below:

It's a fun novelty costume piece that's probably accurate to the show in the sense that the show watch was also a costume recreation, and it'd be great for a cosplay. Alternatively, if you wanted a real, functional, high-end watch, you'd likely be better off trying to find the lum-tec super combat b2 that the game watch (and in turn the show version) were originally based off of. I sort of think the side-by-side speaks for itself.
View attachment 1690480

View attachment 1690481

I like a lot of Joel’s wardrobe in the same way that I like K's Blade Runner clothes, which is that I'm ok not having something weathered or worn down exactly like the show in favor of a functional garment. I bought the fjallraven shirt too. I can't be bothered to invest the money or time altering it (I simply don't think it's a nice enough piece to warrant the expense) but it's a fun shirt to wear with the jacket, and if you know, you know. Just my two cents.
I agree about the watch. If you want exact screen accuracy, there are outlets for that. At the moment, I’m still waiting for a few more parts for the screen accurate watch, and then will be piecing it all together.

More than likely, I’ll be creating two versions of the watch. One Birthday version, that will be working. As well as a Post-Breakout version, that will be weathered and cracked, and sort of a display piece. That one will also be working.

At the moment, my only biggest difficulty is getting a watch dial faced printed so that it is a legit piece. I’m not the biggest fan of paper printed watch dials. They kind of cheapen the feeling and look of the watch.

I found a guy on Etsy that laser etched onto black painted aluminum, and I feel that that is my best starting point.

That’s pretty dope MSTR is planning to rerelease their watch.

I just hope they don’t sell out quick or after market price rocket lol.

Once I’m able to part everything out for the screen accurate show watch, I’ll post all the parts in a list here in the forum.

I feel that once we are all said and done, our lists can get added to the first post in a “Joel’s Guide”.

I agree about the watch. If you want exact screen accuracy, there are outlets for that. At the moment, I’m still waiting for a few more parts for the screen accurate watch, and then will be piecing it all together.

More than likely, I’ll be creating two versions of the watch. One Birthday version, that will be working. As well as a Post-Breakout version, that will be weathered and cracked, and sort of a display piece. That one will also be working.

At the moment, my only biggest difficulty is getting a watch dial faced printed so that it is a legit piece. I’m not the biggest fan of paper printed watch dials. They kind of cheapen the feeling and look of the watch.

I found a guy on Etsy that laser etched onto black painted aluminum, and I feel that that is my best starting point.

That’s pretty dope MSTR is planning to rerelease their watch.

I just hope they don’t sell out quick or after market price rocket lol.

Once I’m able to part everything out for the screen accurate show watch, I’ll post all the parts in a list here in the forum.

I feel that once we are all said and done, our lists can get added to the first post in a “Joel’s Guide”.
The MSTR watch originally retailed for about 100 usd. I'd have been reluctant to pay even that for a costume piece (I think there’s nicer options out there for real watches for that price). I'm certain they'll raise the cost of the newer replica, but it's a question of how much. For reference, the lum-tec was an automatic watch with a movement you had to initially wind (it's a kinetic movement), whereas I believe the meister takes a battery. The show mentions a quartz crystal in the opening episode at the watch repair scene, so technically the meister is "more accurate" at least in that regard.

The MSTR watch originally retailed for about 100 usd. I'd have been reluctant to pay even that for a costume piece (I think there’s nicer options out there for real watches for that price). I'm certain they'll raise the cost of the newer replica, but it's a question of how much. For reference, the lum-tec was an automatic watch with a movement you had to initially wind (it's a kinetic movement), whereas I believe the meister takes a battery. The show mentions a quartz crystal in the opening episode at the watch repair scene, so technically the meister is "more accurate" at least in that regard.
Yeah the one in the show is a Miyota 1M12 Japanese movement.
It's funny because the watch repair guy in the episode that he needs only a spring to fix the watch - which doesn't make sense, with the battery powered 1M12 movement.

Funny enough, with tools aside, all the parts for the on-screen accurate watch have been about $98. So funny enough, it's about the same lol.
Though if one wanted to fabricate replicas and sell them on Etsy, I can imagine they'd sell them for a little more than that.

Found this for customer movement/spacers. Most likely it was 3d printed for the show's watch. The owner below may be able to make one for a decent fee especially if he has one, or its for a simple movement.

Found this for customer movement/spacers. Most likely it was 3d printed for the show's watch. The owner below may be able to make one for a decent fee especially if he has one, or its for a simple movement.

I reached out to them 2 days ago so I’m awaiting a response.

I’d hold off communicating with them, in fear if we bombard them with requests, they’ll ignore us.

I reached out to them 2 days ago so I’m awaiting a response.

I’d hold off communicating with them, in fear if we bombard them with requests, they’ll ignore us.
Yeah I'm not, just trying to help out people who are trying to build the watch. I have seen some myiota movements that come with a movement holder and you may just need to buy a spacer. There are tons available online.

Crossley Episode 1 shirt came in. (White balance is a little off, but the surface it is on is white).

Love it.

Though, it’s a little slim fitting. A little stretching from the shirt to get a relaxed feeling on you helps. But overall nice shirt.

Last edited:
Crossley Episode 1 shirt came in. (White balance is a little off, but the surface it is on is white).

Love it.

Though, it’s a little slim fitting. A little stretching from the shirt to get a relaxed feeling on you helps. But overall nice shirt.View attachment 1690581
This is the midnight blue color scheme, yes? The site says it runs small. So if I wear a Medium size US, I should size up to a Large, yes? Assume it's Italian sizing?

This is the midnight blue color scheme, yes? The site says it runs small. So if I wear a Medium size US, I should size up to a Large, yes? Assume it's Italian sizing?
I actually didn't even consider going up a size. I probably will do that lol

Last edited:
Back