Let's Build An "Empire" AT-ST!

June 6, 2024

Today's mail call! Big shout out and thanks to RPFer Padawan311 for donating the single part needed from the Tamiya 1/20 Lotus JPS MK III. Thanks, Chris!

IMG_5977.jpg

IMG_5978.jpg

IMG_5979.jpg

August 15, 2024

With the TIE Bomber in the books it's time to get "serious" and start this thing. But to do that I have to go back a couple of years for a bit of a backstory.

Before I was doing the Star Wars stuff I was a scale armor builder. I like to think think I was pretty good at it too. It's kinda where my roots are. As a kid I built TONS of Tamiya armor kits along with the MPC Star Wars kits. Logically it made sense that when I got back into model building in middle age (like we do) I picked up where I left off.

The thing was although I enjoyed it, I was never a rivet counter or got into the historical side. In fact, I'm not a fan of war in general and always felt some inner conflict about making replicas of these machines of death and destruction.

Cut to spring of 2022 and a trip to Southern California and visited the Galaxy's Edge for the first time.

IMG_9032.jpg

The "Force Awakened" in me and I knew that it was time to go where my true passion was. Full disclosure, I used to be a Senior Designer for Disney in different business units.

When I got back I decided to kick things off with a Bandai 1/144 Falcon just to test the waters and it was a fine exercise. I got to apply my armor building weathering prowess to something I was really into.

IMG_9921.jpg

IMG_9924.jpg

Now with the bug, I wanted to try my hand at something different. Something that would test my model building skills and push me into uncharted waters.

I saw online where someone had modified a Bandai AT-ST kit into a fully articulated model. I'm sorry but I don't remember who that person was otherwise I'd provide a link to the site. they basically cut off all the pins in the legs and hips and replaced them with brass tubing. This would be my next build.

I bought the kit and some brass tubing and went to work.

IMG_9975 (1).jpg

IMG_0027 (1).jpg

67970772791__57DC2657-490D-4AA9-84E4-1B050CA2C185 (1).jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

After hours of cutting and sanding little pieces of brass tubing, mixing two-part epoxy, painting and weathering everything...

IMG_0163.jpg

...the piece of s4!t couldn't stand on it's own without collapsing!!! I ended up mounting it to a base with a support underneath it. I know, the ROTJ filming miniature has a support but that wasn't the point. I felt defeated.

Fast forward two years and I still haven't let that defeat go.

As I write this I will not be defeated again!!!

September 11, 2024

Hey everybody. It's been a minute but that's not to say things haven't been going on behind the scenes. The last of the kits have been collected and I took a little break to refresh before jumping back into the game.

Since I'm still sourcing my armature, I decided to start working on the head. I used the schematic that's readily available and out "in the wild". It calls for the styrene to be 1.5mm but given that I wouldn't be vacuum forming it in two halves I went with 1mm.

After printing the schematic out at actual size I cut out the patterns for the sides, top and front of the head and arranged it on the styrene.

IMG_6828.jpg

Next was the matter of transferring the pattern to the plastic. If I had been just cutting out the pieces I would've dusted the backside of the pattern with Spray Mount, stuck them on, cut out the pieces and peeled of the paper while cleaning up the residue with Bestine. Since I wanted to include all the reference markings and guidelines I opted to use Saral artist's transfer paper. It's available in different colors for use on different color materials and comes in rolls or a sample pack.

IMG_7114.jpg

I taped it to the styrene and then the pattern on top. From there it all about tracing everything with a mechanical pencil and compass. The results were pretty cool looking.

IMG_6829.jpg

IMG_6830.jpg

Cutting everything out was pretty straight forward with some light sanding to clean up the edges.

IMG_6847.jpg

IMG_6841.jpg

That said, let me give two pieces of advice that I learned as a designer for many years. First, when cutting a curve freehand with an Xacto, don't look at the blade when you're cutting. Your cut will be crooked or sloppy. Use the force and look past the tip to the line. Let your eyes trace the line and your hand will follow naturally. I know! Weird, right?! It takes a little practice but it's a mind blowing, game changing technique.

Second is DON'T BE STINGY WITH XACTO BLADES!!! Change your blade at the beginning of each work session and replace it frequently. Nothing will F-up a project or cut you quicker than a dull blade. They're expendables. Buy them in the 100 packs and go through them.

Although there's no panel lines to scribe, there are some rivet(?) holes on the sides that needed drilling out. I used an xacto to mark the pilot holes and then used a 1.34mm bit in a pinvise to carefully make the holes. In my enthusiasm I forgot that I was going to make the filming model version and drilled holes in both sides. (SPOILER FOR BRET: The filming model only has holes on the camera side.) These were filled in later after the discovery was made.

IMG_6838.jpg

IMG_6842.jpg

I started the assembly process by gluing two pieces together in one corner with CA and then tacking the rest of the joint with a couple of drops. This was so that if there were any adjustments the pieces could be easily popped apart. Once everything looked good I ran a small bead of CA along the inside seam and hit it with some kicker. I also dropped in a piece of angled styrene just to reinforce the seam.

IMG_6853.jpg

I repeated this process until all four pieces were together. It's also worth noting that for the top I used .75mm styrene. In the reference photos the top looks thinner and I'm guessing that's due in part to the vacuum forming process.

IMG_6877.jpg

I rounded off the radii of the mandibles with sanding sticks and snuck up on the curve. Likewise with the bevels on the bottom edges. Tamiya putty was used to fill in the seams and the holes drilled by mistake.

IMG_6900.jpg

With the basic shape of the head completed it was time to start gluing the plating on. I used 1mm on the front and 2mm the top. The thicker piece needs to follow the curvature of the top and so I carefully bent it by hand to shape prior to gluing so as not to put strain on the thinner top piece. Two-part epoxy and clamps were used for the plating since it had a longer working time than CA and I could take my time aligning them into place.

IMG_6925.jpg

IMG_6931.jpg

Coming up next? Greeblie madness!

Attachments

• IMG_6877.jpg
    IMG_6877.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6861.jpg
    IMG_6861.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6861.jpg
    IMG_6861.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6861.jpg
    IMG_6861.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 18
  • AT-ST_armature-1_240217_112720.pdf
    259.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Fantastic progress, as always Bret! I love that you’re making it filming model accurate, which I suppose also means that the non-camera side of themselves won’t have the majority of the greeblies on them.

I don’t know if you’ve checked with Merlin Models for an armature — they had said they’d have some extras avail to purchase, though they are pricy. But it’s all metal, anodized, and looks really awesome so might be worth an inquiry if you haven’t already.

Back