Interest Blade Runner ID Card from Earl Hays Press

* The $200/$240 price of the badges is an issue because the promised 'limited edition' run of 75 pieces on the Replica Prop Forum is actually no such thing and EHP is selling them on it's website with no restriction (how many will they end up making? hundreds, thousands?)
Well, judging by the stack of blank paper he is working on, and the fact that they are printing two badges per sheet, I’d say there will be hundreds.

IMG_4727.jpeg

Well, judging by the stack of blank paper he is working on, and the fact that they are printing two badges per sheet, I’d say there will be hundreds.

View attachment 1743811
For every 10 or so printed, 1 is good. The plates are old and not consistent. EHP is gonna stop making them at around 150. 1 because theres only so much amberlith and theyre very time intensive to make by hand.

And 2, they have other things to work on

So ill start with the amberlith question. They are only using amberlith. The Rubylith on site is extremely dark red.

As for the excessive shipping some people are experiencing. Thats is set by the shipping company, not Earl Hays.

To the edges. When i made the badge with Adam i trimmed it that way because i felt that was the way

Earl Hays is trimming the IDs the same way they have been trimming ID cards for decades for wallet inserts. The way seen with Adam was done by an amateur (me) the way theyre being done is by professionals who have been doing it this way for forever.
Is there any chance for people who want unassembled kits essentially to actually receive them that way if they put it in their order notes?

So ill start with the amberlith question. They are only using amberlith. The Rubylith on site is extremely dark red.

As for the excessive shipping some people are experiencing. Thats is set by the shipping company, not Earl Hays.

To the edges. When i made the badge with Adam i trimmed it that way because i felt that was the way

Earl Hays is trimming the IDs the same way they have been trimming ID cards for decades for wallet inserts. The way seen with Adam was done by an amateur (me) the way theyre being done is by professionals who have been doing it this way for forever.
Thanks for addressing this Michael. Good to see they are using just Amberlith; this has allayed my fears. I think in that case the slight deviation in colour some have noticed is probably just down to subtle variations from roll to roll / perhaps the vintage nature of the stock.

I've also had another thought regarding the lamination.

As Deckards card was for use in his wallet on screen it makes sense its probably accurate to trim it to the size of the card stock thinking about it. Considering Earls made the original ones for the movie. I dont believe anyone has any BTS stills of it out of the wallet do they?

The 'Screen used' card a member of this forum owns was externally displayed on the pocket or shoulder of a member of crew / extra in the movie and therefore it makes sense they left extra material to be utilised with a name badge clip.

Thats how i'm gonna rationalise it in my mind at any rate :lol:

Mine arrived yesterday. I presume the order they are going out is likely associated with the timing of when the order was placed on EHP website. My shipping notice stated my order number in the 20's.

In the middle of all the mixed emotions on the finite details over color, shipping, shape, borders, et cetera, I just honestly wanna give positive vibes and thanks to PropsToHistory. This kinda thing NEVER happens. When have you ever heard of an old prop house reprinting props from 40 years ago using the same equipment just to sell? This and I'm sure countless other surplus pieces would've wound up in the bin as it's been said EHP has no more room for it all. Michael Corrie thank you for collaborating with EHP and bringing this to the public along with the other items that will eventually go on sale. I've already bought more items from EHP and plan to continue. The provenance and history of the process is worth the price to me. Maybe not everyone but it's dope AF to me. Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, Earl Hays Press here. We want to address some of the concerns we're seeing on the forum. We share your love of history, creation, and especially exhausting attention to detail. So in the spirit of that last point in particular, we want to address a few aspects of the production process and the choices we made along the way.

The X is made with Amberlith. We haven't found any old rolls of Rubylith at our shop, we've only found the one roll of Amberlith that is seen in the Tested video, so there is no danger that we've accidentally used Rubylith. To ease your minds, the photo below is an old negative used to create a printing plate that uses both Amberlith and Rubylith. Amberlith is used to cover up the name on the certificate while Rubylith tape is used to block out any gaps from the seams.

Even though we can see partly through Amberlith and Rubylith, when photographed by a camera called a stat camera, both materials show up as pure black. This process produces a film negative that is then used for making printing cuts. The one photographed here is a film negative that is being modified (in this case, the name is being removed for a new print - the Amberlith blocks the name from being visible to the stat camera for the new negative). As you can probably guess, this was an exhaustive and time-consuming process to make even the most minor changes. Computers and digital printing drastically revolutionized the graphic design and printing industries, hence Ulano's decision to stop producing Amberlith in 2007.

IMG_4179.jpg

Another concern brought up is the photo composite. A user suggested the original photo on Harrison Ford's badge may be the same as a costume continuity photo that is being sold in auction this November. In the continuity photo, Ford is wearing a tan jacket and the light is coming from the right side of the frame. On Ford's ID seen on screen, he is not wearing a tan jacket and the light is coming from the left side of the frame. Moreover, if the continuity photos were taken on instant film (they are the right dimensions to be cut from Polaroids, but it's hard to tell from the low-res image), then there would be no multiples of the same photo. Needless to say we also cannot access the auctioned item for a higher-resolution scan.

We also see that many are concerned about the lamination being trimmed to the edge of the ink. This decision is based on Rick Deckard's badge in the film being placed in a wallet. To physically fit into a standard wallet, the badge needs to be trimmed to the edge. Historical IDs are one of our areas of expertise, and we double-checked drivers license dimension standardization before making this decision (since drivers license dimensions dictate wallet designs). Drivers license standardization did not happen all at once, but in California it happened in 1976, years before filming began for Blade Runner, which means it is significantly more likely that the badge had to be trimmed to its edge in order to fit into the wallet with the transparent ID window used for the prop.

Furthermore, we found a quote from Blade Runner's graphic designer, Tom Southwell, on the website propsummit.com where he did a Q&A. He explained that the property master, actor, and director worked together to build the wallets. Therefore, the most screen accurate version of Rick Deckard's ID is one that fits into a standard wallet, which means it needs to be trimmed to the edge of the artwork. While it is true that the only surviving original ID is a clip on, this has nothing to do with Rick Deckard's wallet ID.

Another concern people have is that we might make hundreds or even thousands of badges based on there being a large stack of paper seen in the Tested video. Rest assured we are not making that many badges, the stack of cardstock may look tall, but cardstock is thick and that stack only printed 300 total badges, and while that number may seem high, we want to stress that printing the ink onto the cardstock is just the first step in a lengthy process of producing these badges. Out of 300, only 150 of those were even deemed good enough to move onto the next stage. The reason so many are lost is because the process of aligning the cuts uses up a good amount of the stack. In the photo posted by another user, a misprint is seen on the top of a "finished" stack where the yellow is misaligned. Misprints like that are very common with multiple colors and double-sided printing, and this print has both. Once the alignment is right, then the rest of the stack can be printed fairly easily, but it is nevertheless a lengthy and skilled process to get there, and why printing using this process is so pricey (and gets cheaper the more you order). This is why, before digital printing, it was typical to print extras of everything. This is especially true with something like the Blade Runner badge where each future step in the construction process could ruin it. In all, nine machines are used to make the badges and the printing press is just the first step. Through the construction process, many badges were deemed unsellable due to ink splotches, crooked text, bad handwriting, or dust getting stuck beneath the lamination.

As you can see, the original 300 print-run quickly dwindles. We printed enough to ensure at least 75 badges for the RPF community, with extras reserved for our personal clients.

As much as we have enjoyed stepping into the world of memorabilia recreation, we are a small company and our main focus is producing cinema inserts for current film productions. We've been open 108 years, and this is the first time we've opened up to the public for something. It is only due to the WGA and SAG strikes that we've have the time to produce the badges. After the excitement of this amazing project, and hopefully the successful end to the strikes in favor of the writers and actors, we will return full-time to cinema inserts. We have enjoyed making the badges and have received so many amazing responses from the community at RPF. From one part of the prop community to another, thank you all for being so passionate.

And last but not least, to the user's friend who said that Adam Savage should have stayed at Earl Hays Press, we say, "yes please!". We thoroughly enjoyed his visit to our shop and would be only too happy to host him again.

— the Earl Hays Press team

Last edited:
In the middle of all the mixed emotions on the finite details over color, shipping, shape, borders, et cetera, I just honestly wanna give positive vibes and thanks to PropsToHistory. This kinda thing NEVER happens. When have you ever heard of an old prop house reprinting props from 40 years ago using the same equipment just to sell? This and I'm sure countless other surplus pieces would've wound up in the bin as it's been said EHP has no more room for it all. Michael Corrie thank you for collaborating with EHP and bringing this to the public along with the other items that will eventually go on sale. I've already bought more items from EHP and plan to continue. The provenance and history of the process is worth the price to me. Maybe not everyone but it's dope AF to me. Cheers!
Agreed.
There is no evidence that the screen used wallet badge wasn't trimmed all the way to the edge. This sort of thing where you get a prop made by the original shop, on the original equipment never happens, so no matter what, I'm extremely happy to be able to get in on this.
My order number was also in the 20s as Vertex mentioned and mine still says pending.
I had originally reserved two, but like others mentioned, I was only able to apply a single $40 discount "for one blade runner badge". So I ended up only ordering one. Yeah I'd have preferred if it was a 16% off so that it worked for multiples but beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited:
And a good case could be made here as to WHY they don't bother...."Screen accurate" can cover multiple different items, in different light, on different cameras, and to different viewers too...So there's not much wonder why we ALL think "it's not exact".....Most of the time, it's not really worth the companies making the effort to recreate what they did for the movie, because we slaughter them EITHER way....

Now, to balance that, critique is also important, as long as it's based on solid facts......That's not what we have here really...They said they used Amberlith, I believe them. End of that.... The edges trimmed all the way, that's how they do it, as a professional print company, and we can't prove the film ID wasn't done just the same, end of that too.....The shipping is high, but also, it arrives in 4 days to Japan, which is superb...And, more to the point, the shipping ISN'T on Earl Hayes, it's on FedEx....So, end of that too.....The production run being open ended too, I don't believe they ever set out to have an end number, beyond "Limited"? It just said that they'd make what they could with the materials they had, and RPF members get a lower price as a thank you.....Sooooo....We angry they're making cash? End of that, too......

The rest is just "personal niggles" with the item, which is fine, but.....I mean, that's on YOU...Not on Earl Hayes to defend....

For myself, as a fan of the movie, I love what they gave us, and I dig the original machines used in the production, and I like that it comes from the same company, and I like that I was included in the RPF run (Thanks for that!), the cost for all that was great, and I am delighted with the card...It's cool as all hell......

Thanks Mike, and thanks Earl Hayes for the run, it IS appreciated..

Last edited:
Hi everyone, Earl Hays Press here. We want to address some of the concerns we're seeing on the forum. We share your love of history, creation, and especially exhausting attention to detail. So in the spirit of that last point in particular, we want to address a few aspects of the production process and the choices we made along the way.

The X is made with Amberlith. We haven't found any old rolls of Rubylith at our shop, we've only found the one roll of Amberlith that is seen in the Tested video, so there is no danger that we've accidentally used Rubylith. To ease your minds, the photo below is an old negative used to create a printing plate that uses both Amberlith and Rubylith. Amberlith is used to cover up the name on the certificate while Rubylith tape is used to block out any gaps from the seams.

Even though we can see partly through Amberlith and Rubylith, when photographed by a camera called a stat camera, both materials show up as pure black. This process produces a film negative that is then used for making printing cuts. The one photographed here is a film negative that is being modified (in this case, the name is being removed for a new print - the Amberlith blocks the name from being visible to the stat camera for the new negative). As you can probably guess, this was an exhaustive and time-consuming process to make even the most minor changes. Computers and digital printing drastically revolutionized the graphic design and printing industries, hence Ulano's decision to stop producing Amberlith in 2007.

View attachment 1743946

Another concern brought up is the photo composite. A user suggested the original photo on Harrison Ford's badge may be the same as a costume continuity photo that is being sold in auction this November. In the continuity photo, Ford is wearing a tan jacket and the light is coming from the right side of the frame. On Ford's ID seen on screen, he is not wearing a tan jacket and the light is coming from the left side of the frame. Moreover, if the continuity photos were taken on instant film (they are the right dimensions to be cut from Polaroids, but it's hard to tell from the low-res image), then there would be no multiples of the same photo. Needless to say we also cannot access the auctioned item for a higher-resolution scan.

We also see that many are concerned about the lamination being trimmed to the edge of the ink. This decision is based on Rick Deckard's badge in the film being placed in a wallet. To physically fit into a standard wallet, the badge needs to be trimmed to the edge. Historical IDs are one of our areas of expertise, and we double-checked drivers license dimension standardization before making this decision (since drivers license dimensions dictate wallet designs). Drivers license standardization did not happen all at once, but in California it happened in 1976, years before filming began for Blade Runner, which means it is significantly more likely that the badge had to be trimmed to its edge in order to fit into the wallet with the transparent ID window used for the prop.

Furthermore, we found a quote from Blade Runner's graphic designer, Tom Southwell, on the website propsummit.com where he did a Q&A. He explained that the property master, actor, and director worked together to build the wallets. Therefore, the most screen accurate version of Rick Deckard's ID is one that fits into a standard wallet, which means it needs to be trimmed to the edge of the artwork. While it is true that the only surviving original ID is a clip on, this has nothing to do with Rick Deckard's wallet ID.

Another concern people have is that we might make hundreds or even thousands of badges based on there being a large stack of paper seen in the Tested video. Rest assured we are not making that many badges, the stack of cardstock may look tall, but cardstock is thick and that stack only printed 300 total badges, and while that number may seem high, we want to stress that printing the ink onto the cardstock is just the first step in a lengthy process of producing these badges. Out of 300, only 150 of those were even deemed good enough to move onto the next stage. The reason so many are lost is because the process of aligning the cuts uses up a good amount of the stack. In the photo posted by another user, a misprint is seen on the top of a "finished" stack where the yellow is misaligned. Misprints like that are very common with multiple colors and double-sided printing, and this print has both. Once the alignment is right, then the rest of the stack can be printed fairly easily, but it is nevertheless a lengthy and skilled process to get there, and why printing using this process is so pricey (and gets cheaper the more you order). This is why, before digital printing, it was typical to print extras of everything. This is especially true with something like the Blade Runner badge where each future step in the construction process could ruin it. In all, nine machines are used to make the badges and the printing press is just the first step. Through the construction process, many badges were deemed unsellable due to ink splotches, crooked text, bad handwriting, or dust getting stuck beneath the lamination.

As you can see, the original 300 print-run quickly dwindles. We printed enough to ensure at least 75 badges for the RPF community, with extras reserved for our personal clients.

As much as we have enjoyed stepping into the world of memorabilia recreation, we are a small company and our main focus is producing cinema inserts for current film productions. We've been open 108 years, and this is the first time we've opened up to the public for something. It is only due to the WGA and SAG strikes that we've have the time to produce the badges. After the excitement of this amazing project, and hopefully the successful end to the strikes in favor of the writers and actors, we will return full-time to cinema inserts. We have enjoyed making the badges and have received so many amazing responses from the community at RPF. From one part of the prop community to another, thank you all for being so passionate.

And last but not least, to the user's friend who said that Adam Savage should have stayed at Earl Hays Press, we say, "yes please!". We thoroughly enjoyed his visit to our shop and would be only too happy to host him again.

— the Earl Hays Press team
Thank you so much for the excellent response. All points made are completely valid and hopefully this quells any further concerns. We're all obsessed about the tiniest details here and have such a deep love for the film. Thanks for all the time, effort, and attention you all put into making this run happen. This is a very special thing you did, offering such an item with such deep and rich history, and it is very much appreciated.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that I'm extremely pleased with what I got and would like to thank the powers to be that made it happen.

I also appreciate EHP addressing the concerns that some may have had.

I received my order today. It looks amazing! I half expect Rick Deckard to kick in my front door to demand his ID back…it looks that good. And don’t get me started on the stickers. That was a fun addition. Who knew Earl Hays was a Blade Runner?

Still waiting on mine to ship; can't wait to see it in person after reading all these great comments!
What are the stickers, out of curiosity?

I received my order today. It looks amazing! I half expect Rick Deckard to kick in my front door to demand his ID back…it looks that good. And don’t get me started on the stickers. That was a fun addition. Who knew Earl Hays was a Blade Runner?

Still waiting on mine to ship; can't wait to see it in person after reading all these great comments!
What are the stickers, out of curiosity?
They included a circular Earl Hays company sticker and the super neat sticker is a sticker of the Blade Runner badge for Earl Hays, it has a photo of Earl Hays and his name on the badge. I think it is just so fun!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back