You could do "Hand Made in America for Adam Ant Cosplay" around the outside and change the number facets on the diamond logo to make it read "Not Mich Dulce", or if you have room "Inspired by Mich Dulce"

I can't find any good pictures of this red and black ring. But I found a likely candidate. A company called Skullis:

20230918_184851.jpg

and Adam's:

20230917_001819.jpg

But at 400 per, it will be a sculpt job.

I made a trip to Joann fabrics. The cloth weaves for outdoor upholstery were the closest but did not have holes. The burlap was not available at my local store. They only had the large opening rough burlap, like a real gunny sack. I purchased two samples of linen with larger than normal weave but it still looks too closed. I have the samples drying now after a quick coating. I found the tighter weave burlap online and have ordered a sample. It is the one like the one posted above that matches so well in the pictures. After all of this, I began to wonder if there were not two hats. Mich made a second, smaller hat for the Unicef donation auction. Because it was a women's hat, I believe, it may not be the same material as Adam's. So, I will plug along with the testing to see if we can produce a "looks right at ten feet" version. I waffle on the material because in some pictures the hat looks smooth like a suit jacket fabric and in closeups it looks like a coated hat material like straw or sisal/jute. Camera blur can be a real wall when guessing materials.

I can't find any good pictures of this red and black ring. But I found a likely candidate. A company called Skullis:

View attachment 1740856

and Adam's:

View attachment 1740858

But at 400 per, it will be a sculpt job.
Maybe buy a cheap silver one and paint it red. That could save hours of sculpt time.

Here are a few…

This one doesn’t show the sides, but maybe you could contact them to ask for more photos:

This one isn’t exact, and the mouth is open, but maybe you could cut the jaw off and re-attach it in the closed position:

Maybe buy a cheap silver one and paint it red. That could save hours of sculpt time.

Here are a few…

This one doesn’t show the sides, but maybe you could contact them to ask for more photos:

This one isn’t exact, and the mouth is open, but maybe you could cut the jaw off and re-attach it in the closed position:

I think this might very well match the red ring face. I have looked at it a lot and i think it may also have the two rows of exposed teeth like this one. And at 24 dollars is a great deal compared to hours of prep and cost of casting.

I found another supplier using the search terms from moviefreak on the big skull ring. 10 with free shipping. When it shows up and is passable, I will list the source link.

Last edited:
More trips to Joanns. Getting closer to the right color, a very dark gray but texture is far from matching. I did find one more truth of the Universe while researching these hats. There are definitely two large ones and the tiny one Mich wore. All of Adam's performances show a diagonal lay of the grain but his poses with mich show a fully horizontal grain and large shifts in thread size that speak loudly of possible linen. The performance hats do show evidence of changing thread thicknesses but only in some pictures while others seem to show a very consistent version like canvas. It is maddening. I think I have to just choose a good light black and move on.

Screenshot_20230919-224739_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230919-003958_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230919-000158_Gallery.jpg

To take this decision off my plate, I offer the following lineups. Only two materials made it this far with me. The others did not come close after stiffening and coating. These are two treatments to two materials. First two are faux linen polyester and the last two are an outdoor cushion fabric. First picture shows color and texture. Second shows the grains at diagonal. 1 through 4, left to right. Pick one for me and I will move forward. Sometimes his hat looks gray, sometimes black, sometimes green black, all according to lighting.

20230920_135834.jpg

20230920_141222.jpg

And to finish the round of research on the Phillipines fabrics, I have not found any that were not gauzy and see through, open weave. I do not see that with his hat. Unless it has a massive amount of shellac on top to close the gaps. An example of those materials would be a fragile and artistic sun hat with a total weight of 1 ounce and reshaped by a light breeze. If it is abaca or sinamay, it has been highly altered.

I need to upload these pattern pics before I screw up and finish the hat without documentation. I will later put this into illustrator and add the ability to print it.

20230920_163636.jpg
20230920_163600.jpg

Remember the hole is for my noggin. In order to keep this relevant per person, you will want to shrink this design as one piece until the central hole is your hat size. Shrink or expand the entire pattern using scaling or "output print percentages" up or down. Because this hat is designed to have no front bill, there is no grace given to moving the central hole. It MUST be cut like this with the folds for front and back radiating from the central hole. There is no brim to speak of as it hugs your forehead.

Last edited:
2 or 3. It looks like 3 is not evenly coated, so it is a bit difficult to judge the texture. The spacing on 3 looks like it may be the best match.
The first two appear to have a square warp/weft pattern and look more like a coated straw hat, but the pattern on 3 is more rectangular which seems to be what is happening here:
4 seems to change from left to right, so it is hard to judge it.

2 or 3. It looks like 3 is not evenly coated, so it is a bit difficult to judge the texture. The spacing on 3 looks like it may be the best match.
The first two appear to have a square warp/weft pattern and look more like a coated straw hat, but the pattern on 3 is more rectangular which seems to be what is happening here:
4 seems to change from left to right, so it is hard to judge it.
Correct on all counts. My test swatches were done late and I had to finish feeding the yard pets so did not notice the incomplete coverage until it dried.

I figured out a decent method for rolling the bottom edge of the hat. I am using a dowel rod and window insulation (the round cord type) to get this flowing fold look.

First Adam's:

Screenshot_20230919-001642_Samsung Internet.jpg

Then my method:

20230917_143914.jpg
20230917_143850.jpg

You could also glue bendable wire around the inside edge, then sew the pieces together, that way you can shape the edging anyway you want, and it will hold the shape. Plus you can easily continue to tweak the shape later if you still aren’t happy with the shape.

Back