The Last of Us HBO Joel Thread

That said...consider why Joel was wearing it, within the framework of the show. Just because its' too warm for you to cosplay in, doesn't mean that it wasn't correct for him to wear in Kansas City in the fall in a world where all of the clothes you wear are on your back. ;)

Absolutely. Just meant it as reference for those who are buying these things to wear as normal clothes, as I am.

So I attempted to do the crack for the watch, using mineral glass, a hammer, and a nail punch, but the impact from the blows just destroyed it.
Went through 5 of them. I did find that doing a few small sized drilled holes, then using the nail punch helps.

But if anyone has found another solution, let me know :lol:. I might do a full drill hole and start there. I have like 20 more mineral glass replacements.

I also ordered some resin, and I might use that to fill in the holes so I have a safe "wearable" broken face version.

Hi all,
Small updates, we upgrade our backpack and made it slighlty smaller.
I hope you guys like it.
IMG_20230627_150422_284.jpg
IMG_20230627_150505_256.jpg
IMG_20230627_150513_640.jpg

Watch update. After 2 weeks of trying to find a solution, I found it in UV resin. Using patterns provided by a member here, I managed to use silicone molds, casted resin pucks with the holes design in them, and then sanded the crap out of these things to polish them clearly.

I used a scribing tool used for Gunpla to get my cracks and scratches. Then used panel liner (Tamiya black) to get some depth to the cracks.

I also scribed the underside to give depth.
To complete the polish on the “glass” I used Polywatch and buffered the crap out of them.

To set the “glass” into the case, I used G-S Hypo Cement that is used to actually put mineral glass into the case (rather than super glue, to not fog up the resin).

I also got the movement holders in the mail, and will be making silicone and UV resin casts of these babies too so I have the molds (if anyone wants them here, so you don’t have to spend over $100 lol).

Next, I have to paint and set the hands, along with the movement, and the stem and crown. Weather the case, the strap, and then boom. We’re done!
CDE4C0D6-A79A-42AB-A5A5-D5116256313A.jpeg
7EAED775-F2B3-45B6-BFD9-0CD3691D3C86.jpeg
75D84265-91C0-4BB0-83F2-5434EAF688E3.jpeg
View attachment 1718137
6C25DD0C-4F92-4356-B715-DD224D9E11AA.png
DF8A8322-0CCF-4B23-961F-7EA43FE64B40.jpeg

Attachments

• D6D80BE7-DD8D-47CC-8923-A968BE3C9B5E.png
    D6D80BE7-DD8D-47CC-8923-A968BE3C9B5E.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 59
  • 9202904F-556E-494A-AC0C-D0B1DD2FEB1E.png
    9202904F-556E-494A-AC0C-D0B1DD2FEB1E.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
That is beautiful work, would love to commission one or get in on a run if you were ever interested in taking those.
Thank you! The resin required so much hand sanding to get it to that glass finish that I found myself sanding during a home workout just to pass time lol.

So I don’t really have a cost structure yet, as I’m trying to figure out a cost effective way to get the dials made. At present, the dials cost me $100 a piece (smh). Would love to start making them for y’all, but I really need to find that solution.

The majority of the cost comes from the dial, and then just the watch itself, which was like $60.

The internal watch parts are also subject to run out or change- so there’s that.

I really want to stay away from paper dials, so if you guys have solutions let me know!

Having said that, at present, I’m not ready to take any commissions, but would love to discuss further via DM.

Finally got myself the Irish Setters and Wrangler shirt (oversized, I had to resize it).

Which, along with the undershirt, complete everything I was looking for. I consider myself done now. The boots and the jacket are by far the best out of this outfit. Exceptional quality. Overall very recommended if anyone is into this style, and not just cosplay.

unnamed.jpg

If you guys have any suggestions, or critiques, comments etc, please feel free! Definitely looking to always make things better.

1 tip I have is, if and when you paint the hands, try airbrush ha. Using arcylic paint, and painting by hand with a micro brush was time consuming and it always looks so so sloppy lol. I wish I had an airbrush.

So that completes the "now" or "post-pandemic" version of the watch. I'll be working on some other project at the moment, but I'll be looking at creating the "Birthday" brand new version of the watch soon.

With the Birthday version, it will be a completely brand new looking watch (ish....Joel's watch at the time more than likely had some wear, as it was not gifted as a new watch, but a "repaired" watch to him).

It will have a running movement (my one off Post-Pandemic watch has a movement inside, just took out the battery).

The hands will have to be custom made. I'm going to find some thin thin aluminum or sheet metal, and will cut the hands out at the specified measurements I took from that still image. Carve out the "faux" lum track that is on the hand (because the props department obviously painted over them to give the pilot look). Then ideally........ airbrush the paint over the hands.

Gonna be an effort for sure, so I'll keep yall posted in the months that I work on it.

Please hit me up if you'd be interested in commissions!

Best!

Is this anyone’s first time cosplaying or prop making?

I kept finding myself having to take a step back and realizing that I’ve never built a watch before (granted, it’s a quartz movement lol), nor have I made any props or replicas before! In this forum, this was the first time I’ve built anything like this (and the flashlight). They were really interesting builds!

Thank you for the journey guys!

In a surprise twist, I thought “what if I put the movement holder in silicone, make a mold, and then use resin to make a new holder?” and behold, I’ve made a cost efficient movement holder for the Timex 38 mm.

Last thing I need to find a workaround for is the dial!

Attachments

• CDFF2906-E7A1-4DF3-B4BE-98A80864EF9A.jpeg
    CDFF2906-E7A1-4DF3-B4BE-98A80864EF9A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 69

COMMISSION UPDATE!!!​

(I want to make you guys aware before I post in Want to Buy!!

So I've decided to start taking commissions in a small batch run.
I've never done commissioned anything in my life, so I'd love to give first dibs to those who helped me out!

I'd love to do this before I take the next level, and do an Etsy store.

If you guys would like a watch, please "love" this post, and then DM me.

Just for the admins: I am not selling with this post! Just want to generate interest here before I post in Want to Buy!

I'm not sure my batch run yet, but honestly it might be under 20 at the moment (I'm a one man army, so I'll try my best!).

I want to open this up for the world of cosplayers soon, so let me know when you can!

This is how my process will go.

Once I get an idea of batch size, I will have a time table (ish) of how I want to go about creating.

1. Commission taking window from now until End of August - might extend it if I don't reach my batch size.
2. I will take commissions in order of when DMs are received in my inbox, and I will respond.
3. I have to order each Timex Weekender, then the parts, then start working on making prints of internals, piecing together and the watch glass (usually a day or 2 per watch)
4. Once I reach 20 requests in my inbox, I'll have to cut the commissions until I am able to produce a second batch. If I reach over 20, I'll add you guys to the next batch!
5. and this is just for me! When and if I create my Etsy store, would love reviews from those here who got a watch, to get this thing in the spotlight for help spreading the word!

6. Please expect about a 2-3 weeks per watch (More than likely watches will be done end of August).

Please DM me for price! (If you're an active member from this forum, state so!).

RPF on everyone!
Best,
Leon

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back