revision of Indiana Jones Lost Journal

13. African Continent Map Spread

Another hard one. I have the following screenshots (the greenish one is from indydiary51). I have no idea what the page on the left is of or what any of the text might say. Can anyone help? For the map it seems to be a similar map to that found in the adventure timeline pages, so I will be using that, but there’s text beneath it. I have the following fragment:

and to the
xxx xxxing land

Can anyone decipher the remaining words that are visible?

Attachments

• 20240217_011445 (1).jpg
    20240217_011445 (1).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Mystery drawing.png
    Mystery drawing.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • Map Partial 02.png
    Map Partial 02.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • Map Partial 01.png
    Map Partial 01.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
I think the image on the left is a landscape showing mountains. I can make out the words "is arranged" and "love". Something to do with the trip where they saw the snake?

I think the image on the left is a landscape showing mountains. I can make out the words "is arranged" and "love". Something to do with the trip where they saw the snake?
Staring at that part a bit more I wonder if it’s “arrived” since I don’t see the tail of a “g”. Making it logically “has arrived”? I also think the word beneath that is “Somali” which would fit with the camel page which is known from the original diary…

Well, I’m still stumped on all of those blurry sections. They’re near impossible for me to read without upscaling to higher resolution or modifying to improve the focus on the text which I don’t know how to do. On the plus side I found the missing Africa page I needed! In the outro of each episode you can still watch old Indy close the journal, showing a spread with a Maasai woman (known page) and an as yet unseen (to me) page showing what seems to be a Maasai man. I have deciphered the bottom section of this page but am having some trouble with the very top of the first paragraph.

Additionally if anyone has a remastered version of the original intro (I have yet to find a high quality version on YouTube) I can probably decipher the map and mountains spread.

Attachments

• Masai Spread 02.png
    Masai Spread 02.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • Masai Spread 16.png
    Masai Spread 16.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
I got the highest quality intro I could find and found more of the drawing of the man/boy in 1st screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240804-174623_Film Maker.jpg
    Screenshot_20240804-174623_Film Maker.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20240804-174727_Film Maker.jpg
    Screenshot_20240804-174727_Film Maker.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 24
The maasi lady and dog are in the 'lost journal of indiana jones' but the lady is drawn a bit differently. Its a good find though and if I was doing another diary (which I may do down the track) I'd adjust it to your screenshots.

One thing that is interesting is the page opposite the lady. Does this show a big baby with a gourd to their mouth?

Yeah I think it’s that or a heavy set person who is drinking from a gourd. The text around the drawing says:

Man covered in
dust
from the
ground
his eyes
look
very
watery
and not very
happy.
his family
looks
very
well
fed
to Ms.
Seymour.

Yeah I think it’s that or a heavy set person who is drinking from a gourd. The text around the drawing says:
well done to work out that much. Based on what we can see an approximate drawing should be able to be done for the page.

4. Paris Spread 1 (implied by text of following spread)

Will be invented based on source mentioned below

5. Paris Spread 2

I was able to decipher bits of the text from screenshots and after lots of googling found that it’s from “The Human Interest Library: Old world travelogues” from 1921, page 411 specifically. I was then able to fill in the remaining text based off the shape of the blurry words and got the first page filled in with my best guess. The second page is much more difficult as it is much more blurry. If anyone here can sharpen it I may be able to find the rest of the text either in the same book or elsewhere.
Okay, lots of time consuming squinting later and here’s what I have for the page with the drawing in the second spread. Words that aren’t in brackets I’m fairly certain of, words that are might be wrong but are my current best guess.

is her xxx
wasn’t his gxxxglings
They lived happily for xx
X years, his family didn’t
[love?] her and [thought?] on

Looking at the scrap visible in the second two photos has been the most productive since the first is so blurry I can’t make anything out for sure. That said I can’t find any sources that match this. It’s either not specific enough or too specific depending on how much you search in quotes. The two things that would help most are any guesses on the word (or words) after “wasn’t his”, and any guesses on the overall topic. I thought France or Paris given the previous page but that’s not specific enough. Napoleon would also be logical but doesn’t fit the scrap of text or the drawing. Any guesses?

Attachments

• Degas Page 2.jpeg
    Degas Page 2.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Paris Page 2-3.png
    Paris Page 2-3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • Paris Page 2-4.png
    Paris Page 2-4.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Back