STUDIO SCALE 3D PRINTED AT-ST

Nice print. You really must have you machine 'dialed-in' to get that kind of quality without warping or artifacts.

TazMan2000
Hello TazMan2000. Thank you for the feedback, the 3D print quality of this kit is excellent. I purchased this 3D printed model kit from SCIFI STUDIO SCALE MODELERS, which is on Facebook. They use a company named Panda 3D Sculpture Studio to print the model kit, which was then shipped to me.

Hello TazMan2000. Thank you for the feedback, the 3D print quality of this kit is excellent. I purchased this 3D printed model kit from SCIFI STUDIO SCALE MODELERS, which is on Facebook. They use a company named Panda 3D Sculpture Studio to print the model kit, which was then shipped to me.
Oh. My mistake. I thought you printed it out yourself.

TazMan2000

Oh. My mistake. I thought you printed it out yourself.

TazMan2000
Hello TazMan;
No worries my friend. I appreciate the input and feedback. I just wanted to clarify that I didn’t print the kit and give credit where it is due.
Kind Regards;
Scudman

Oops, I accidentally broke one of the parts.
IMG_2093.jpeg

I repaired the broken part with baking soda reinforced super glue. I also used baking soda and super glue to build up the thickness of the unbroken part so that both parts match.
IMG_2094.jpeg

While the baking soda and super glue were still wet, I shaped the parts with sanding sticks.
IMG_2095.jpeg

I let the baking soda and super glue cure for a few days then I gave the rebuilt areas a coat or Mr Hobby 1500 to even out the surface.
IMG_2096.jpeg

I primed the repaired parts with Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover Flat Gray Primer spray paint, which I decanted from the spray can and shot through my airbrush. I used a ratio 50% paint to 50% Testors Enamel Thinner at 60psi.
IMG_2158.jpeg

Here is the AT-ST test fitted together with the taller leg position. At this point nothing is glued and the model is held together with a friction fit or double sided tape. Now that the model is taller, its top heavy and it has to be supported by the aluminum rod.
IMG_2253.jpeg

IMG_2272.jpeg

IMG_2259.jpeg

The designer of the model kit designed the kit with a round hole on the bottom of the drive engine to accept a support rod. This is a very convenient feature and two thumbs up to the model kit designer. However, if you choose not to support the model in this way, there is a part that comes with the kit to cover up the hole.

IMG_2368.jpeg

More to come soon and thank you for looking.

Today I glued the legs together and for extra strength and rigidity I pinned the joints with metal rod.
IMG_2279.jpeg

I did the same for the knee joint.
IMG_2285.jpeg

The gluing surface for the hip joint skid plates is a little small and I can foresee that if I use glue alone these little parts might get knocked off during the painting and weathering process. For extra holding power I pinned these parts as well.
IMG_2295.jpeg

I also glued and pinned the hip joint.
IMG_2303.jpeg

The legs are all glued together and ready to be painted. However I decided to hold off on glueing the skid plates in place until after the legs are painted.
IMG_2347.jpeg

Thanks for looking. More to come soon.

These legs are going to be solid for sure:cool::cool:(y)(y):love::love:
Hello Joberg; thank you for your feedback. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the glued joints will hold over time. I have been taken by surprise in the past when a glued part fails to hold.

That said, the skid plates on the drive engine also have a small gluing surface so I decided to use metal pins to help hold them in place as well.
IMG_2329.jpeg

…..And I used metal pins to help hold the power cables in place.
IMG_2463.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

The drive engine is ready to be painted, but I’m going to hold off on gluing all the small parts in place until after it’s painted. More to come soon, thank you for looking. P.S. I’m really enjoying building this model, the details are excellent.

You're pessimistic about parts falling off...but no need to worry with all of those pins holding them together(y)(y):p:p

Back