Interest DaveP's V2 and V3 run - 2024

Morning Everyone!

I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU! to everyone who has placed an order so far! I really appreciate it!

I'm more excited than ever to make a start on this run! I'll be breaking everything down and planning the next few months over the weekend.

The fully finished V2 commissions sold out in the night! There were a few DIY Kits still remaining though, so I have moved 2X of those over to the fully weathered ones.

So for now, everything is showing as "in stock". Please be aware that these last two will be in the final batch and won't be completed until the end of the year.

FYI there are now 5X V2 DIY Kits available. If these don't sell, I can offer them as fully finished commissions later.

I just wanted to make sure that anyone wanting to tackle the build themselves had the opportunity to get the raw kit.

Still plenty of V3s Available for now. (y)

Hi Dave
Is it at all possible to order just the V3 emitter?

I'm not able to separate the kit parts unfortunately. :( In hindsight I probably should have ordered a few spares, but as I didn't, taking one would result in a spare body and pommel.

Sorry about that.

Dave is this a one time offering or will more be available later down the road? Thanks

I have actually ordered more parts than have been listed.

So I can list a handful more in the new year. Not as many, but there are some.

I have limited the numbers to take us to the end of this year. I just didn't want to have people placing pre-orders and having to wait longer than that for finished commissions.

Hope that makes sense.

Another busy day in the workshop today so I'll be away from keyboard again. I will try to respond to messages and questions as soon as I can though.

Just some news in relation to this run. The sheet metal parts for the clamps are being delivered TODAY! :eek:

I just placed the order for the hydraulic press as well as the sheet roller and very much looking forward too making a start on these! :D

For now though, I'll be cracking on with final assembly of my final batch of Heroes/Yumas/ISYHCANL, which are practically finished and shipping out Monday. (y)

Thanks again everyone!

All the best and MTFBWY!

Dave

Morning Everyone!

I just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU! to everyone who has placed an order so far! I really appreciate it!

I'm more excited than ever to make a start on this run! I'll be breaking everything down and planning the next few months over the weekend.

The fully finished V2 commissions sold out in the night! There were a few DIY Kits still remaining though, so I have moved 2X of those over to the fully weathered ones.

So for now, everything is showing as "in stock". Please be aware that these last two will be in the final batch and won't be completed until the end of the year.

FYI there are now 5X V2 DIY Kits available. If these don't sell, I can offer them as fully finished commissions later.

I just wanted to make sure that anyone wanting to tackle the build themselves had the opportunity to get the raw kit.

I'm not able to separate the kit parts unfortunately. :( In hindsight I probably should have ordered a few spares, but as I didn't, taking one would result in a spare body and pommel.

Sorry about that.

I have limited the numbers to take us to the end of this year. I just didn't want to have people placing pre-orders and having to wait longer than that for finished commissions.

Hope that makes sense.

Another busy day in the workshop today so I'll be away from keyboard again. I will try to respond to messages and questions as soon as I can though.

Just some news in relation to this run. The sheet metal parts for the clamps are being delivered TODAY! :eek:

I just placed the order for the hydraulic press as well as the sheet roller and very much looking forward too making a start on these! :D

For now though, I'll be cracking on with final assembly of my final batch of Heroes/Yumas/ISYHCANL, which are practically finished and shipping out Monday. (y)

Thanks again everyone!

All the best and MTFBWY!

Dave

Morning Everyone!

Sorry about that.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again everyone!

All the best and MTFBWY!

Dave
Ordered a V2 Kit this morning. Glad I got one. Thought I was going to miss out being a few days late.

Last edited:
**PRE-UPDATE-UPDATE** :D

Hello everyone... I just wanted to drop in with an update as I'm aware that I've been a bit silent this past week, as I prepare things behind the scenes...

First of all, THANK YOU! to everyone who has taken part in the run so far! It's very much appreciated!

As mentioned, the V2 slots are all now taken I'm afraid. I'm sorry for any disappointment. There will be a smaller run of these at the end of the year. I can't take pre-orders for these just yet though as I would like to limit the amount of time that people are waiting for pre-orders if possible. I hope this is ok.

**There are still some V3 slots available (both DIY and Full commissions).**

It's been a very busy couple of weeks preparing the artwork/mock ups for the various commission options as well as setting up my workshop/tooling for making the clamps.

I'll be posting a BIG update over the weekend though (including said artwork).

I'm very excited to show the various options. Particularly the Production V2 and V3 options, as these have been a lot of fun to put together.

As much as I'd like to share now, I'm not going to drop any in this "Pre-Update-Update"! :D

The reason being, I suspect that they will generate a certain amount of discussion, and I'm just too busy behind the scenes this week to respond properly.

If it's OK with everyone, and you don't mind waiting, I'll be dropping everything in a full update on Saturday, with images and in-depth explanations of the various options. (y)

Prior to the CNC parts arriving, I'll be contacting everyone individually to take note of their weathering preferences.

I've also been busy setting up new equipment and refining tooling for my new clamps, which are now being made almost entirely in-house/by hand. I'm VERY happy to report that this is now complete, and I'll be showing off the results of this in Saturday's update. I can't tell you how exited I am to show you the results and to explain a little bit about the process behind them.

I just wanted to show my face, and to essentially excuse myself until weekend if that's ok, whilst I continue to get everything prepared for Saturday's big reveal.

CNC parts are still "in-production" and should be completed within the next couple of weeks. During that time, I'll now be busy forming the sheet parts ready for plating, as well as other preparations like cutting vinyl for stencils, etc.

Brad (SlothFurnace) is supplying the Vintage Style V2 Clamp cards again for this run and has begun work on the soldering for those. Thanks Brad!

PROCEEDING.gif

For now, I'm going to sign off and drop off the radar until Saturday...

Until then, all the best and MTFBWY!

Dave

**UPDATE**

Hello everyone.

As promised, here is an update on the run.

Since launching on August 1st, I've been incredibly busy behind the scenes!

All of my outstanding commissions are now finished and I am 100% focused on preparations for this run.

My workshop has been rearranged and has been equipped with new tooling for the sheet metal work that is now ongoing...

I'm extremely happy with how the clamps are turning out!

It was always a risk, deciding to make them by hand, but thankfully the jigs are all now working (after some modifications).

I am loving the whole process and there is just something about the finished article that feels very authentic.

My previous clamp was CNC folded (which came as a surprise!), and although it did eventually look great externally, I was always traumatised by the tool marks on the inside.

For this reason, this one is being made by hand, using jigs that I have designed and had made specifically for this run. The cylindrical section is being ROLLED this time, as it would have been originally.

The finished thing just feels great in hand, and I cant wait to have them plated!

CLAMP.jpg

The bars are now a night and day improvement! Compromises had to be made with this part too for my Obi Wan run. I wasn’t able to find a manufacturer who could guarantee the neat corners that are seen on the original, and so reluctantly agreed to have them milled from a solid piece. Again, externally this produced great results. No nasty corners, and dimensionally correct. It always bugged me that they weren’t made from folded sheet though.

In the absence of a manufacturer that could guarantee an accurate reproduction, I endeavoured to design a jig for this part too.

I’m over the moon with the result! They require some hand finishing (as the original did) but the finished thing feels incredibly close to a vintage bar!

I’ll be spending the next week forming these for the DIY Kits and the first batch of commissions.

Once the CNC clamp parts arrive, I’ll get them straight over to my plater for plating here in the UK.

Although it might not look like it in some references, I believe the clamp on the V2 to be a bright chrome, Folmer clamp. It’s old and a little beat up now, but you can certainly see in the Pop Culture Quest episode, that the clamp is fairly reflective.

PCQ_COLLAGE.png

I can’t wait to see these finished. As with all of my previous runs, each individual part has ended up being a project in itself! The clamp has certainly been something of an obsession this time around.

**WEATHERING COMMISSIONS**

Bellow you will find details of the various weathering commissions that are available for the run.

These are artists impressions, as the majority of the parts are still in production. Please refer to the original post for examples of previous work.

Thank you so much to everyone for your patience while I put these together! I would have liked to have had them ready for the launch on the 1st. For those who have pre-ordered a weathering commission, but are still undecided on which version to go with, hopefully these mock-ups will give you an idea of what the finished things will look like.

I have created mock ups for Pre / Early – Production and Post Production / Current Day.

There are examples of previous “Current Day” commissions in the top post too, including an example of the “Nasa” V3.

First up is the “Sandstorm” (Early Production) V2:

This one was a lot of fun to put together! Based on the very few references that are available, I have made a few observations.

It’s worth pointing out that the configuration of the V2 changes a lot throughout filming. The Clamp orientation moves around constantly. The clamp was fitted with an exactra bubble strip on day one, which was eventually swapped for the card that is there now. There were no greebles. In the booster/pommel sections ether, but these were added prior to shooting the Ewok village scenes.

Here it can be seen *with* boot stud and *thumbscrew” but also with the bubble strip. It’s not particularly easy to make out, but if you count what look like bumps in the card, there are seven.

EWOCK.jpg

Even harder to make out in the “sandstorm” image, but if you zoom in and count, there does appear to me to be seven distinct details.

The neck tape appears to me to be absent at the beginning of shooting, but the bends in the emitter face are present.

SANDSTORM.jpg

The most obvious difference between the Sandstorm V2 and the Current Day V2 is the paintwork.

I have gone to great lengths to try to capture how the prop might have looked at the time of filming. This was not as simple as just looking at the references and extrapolating. I didn’t want there to be any bare metal, or paint chips in places that have paint on them today. It figures that the paint that is there now, will have been there since the motorised stunt.

I started with my current day stencils and worked backwards. I gradually built the paint back up until it looked about right. I then removed areas and details that are visibly chipped in the references, whilst ensuring that the current day stencils remained intact.

I’m really quite happy with the result:

V2_SANDSTORM_LINEUP.jpg

V2_SANDSTORM_EMITTER.jpg

V2_SANDSTORM_POMMEL.jpg

Next up is the “Current Day / Post-Production V2”:

This is the V2 we all know and love! I was very happy with the stencils I put together for my previous V2 run. I’ve decided to keep these pretty much the same. If I were to revisit these, I would be using the same references and the same processes, and would very likely arrive at the same results. not altering them is also a courtesy to those who took part in my previous run.

I could have used the artwork from my previous run for this section, but I wanted to give a more accurate representation that includes the new clamp lever and D-Ring models, as well as the correct stamping on the clamp. (This was oversized in previous mock ups)

Again, these are artists impressions. Please refer to the top post for physical examples of this version.

The current day V2 commission will be chemically aged as standard prior to painting.

The Current day V2 will include SlothFurnace Vintage Style Clamp Card which comes pre-weathered by Brad.

The “mystery chunks” are genuine vintage boot studs. These are stripped/trimmed and aged appropriately.

V2_CURRENT_LINEUP.jpg

V2_CURRENT_EMITTER.jpg

V2_CURRENT_POMMEL.jpg

Now for the “Production” V3!

This one was a lot of fun to put together too. Especially as it is so very illusive. There are very few clear references of the V3 during production. It’s much more recognisable in it’s current form.

I’ve based my “production” V3 on the few frames that it appears on screen. I have cross referenced various other behind the scenes references (some of which are not public). As you can see, there isn’t much to go off:

V3 ONSET.jpg

This publicly available image is actually from very late in production, but it does give a fairly clear shot of the V3 and is the basis for my clamp / pommel orientation.

VADER V3.jpg

You can also see that there is no chrome tape at this stage.

The above shot appears to have the current day, brass clamp card which was not the case in the throne room shots. The resin casts of the V3 actually feature an Otis style clamp card, but based on the movie still references, I have decided to go with the blue Vectorbord card that was used for the ISYHCANL and Hero.

Like the V2, this prop changes throughout the course of production, and I have decided to base my representation specifically on the throne room sequence.

It looks to me as though the traces on the board are bridging the full width of the clamp. The spacing too is consistent with the blue Vectorbord.

This is all down to personal preference of course, and the clamp card is VERY easy to swap and replace as you see fit.

The same applies to the neck tape. The specific references that I am basing this on do not include the neck tape (as seen on the V2), so my standard commissions will not include this.

I have seen a reference that appears to show neck tape being used however, and am happy to include it if preferred.

V3_PRODUCTION_LINEUP.jpg

V3_PRODUCTION_POMMEL_02.jpg

Thankfully, there are a couple of very clear behind the scenes shots of the V3 that show the face plate pattern specifically (from multiple angles). I have combined these to give an accurate representation of what this looked like at the time of filming:

V3_PRODUCTION_EMITTER.jpg

I absolutely can NOT wait to get one of these made up!

Last but not least, The Current Day / “NASA” V3:

This is how the V3 looks today and is what people generally think of when picturing the V3.

It’s neck is painted copper and has had foil tape applied in various places. Presumably as a quick way of cleaning it up visually.

The clamp card is fashioned from a section of brass, with added strips of electrical tape.

NASA_V3_LINEUP.jpg

NASA_V3_EMITTER.jpg

NASA_V3_POMMEL.jpg

Please see the top post for examples of a finished “NASA” V3 Commission.

Over the course of this coming week I will be contacting all those who have pre-ordered weathering commissions to take note of their preferences. :)

The above examples are to demonstrate the standard for each version, but I am happy to accommodate any special requests.

**All V2 slots are now taken I’m afraid, but there are still a few V3 slots available!**

The slots that are currently listed on the The Store are to take us up to the end of this year.

There were a few additional kits ordered, which will be made available for pre-order towards the end of the year, for completion in 2025.

I’d like to make some good progress on this initial batch before making these available, so as to limit the waiting time between pre-order and delivery.

The V3 slots currently on the store are scheduled for completion before the end of this year. (y)

One last, big THANK YOU!!! to all of you for your support and encouragement.

Signing off for now, but will be back with another update soon!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

All the best and MTFBWY!

Dave

Last edited:
Wow!! Those Production V3's are gorgeous!! Are they included in the V3 slots or is it just the NASA version?

INTRO:

Hello everyone!

As some of you might have heard, I'll be introducing my latest run of V2 and V3 replicas on to my store in less than a weeks’ time (August 1st 2024)

I'm VERY excited to finally share with you the details of this latest run!

BRIEF OVERVIEW OF PREVIOUS RUN:

My previous V2 run was a HUGE undertaking, which led me down a deep rabbit hole of research and development!

I was immensely proud of the final results, which culminated with both a working motorized stunt (as used by Sir Alec Guinness in the original SW movie), and a ROTJ V2.

View attachment 1844230
View attachment 1844232
View attachment 1844231
View attachment 1844229

View attachment 1844234
View attachment 1844236
View attachment 1844237
View attachment 1844238
View attachment 1844239
View attachment 1844235

Both were as close to the original props as I could possibly make them (inside and out!).

My models and CAD drawings were developed over several iterations through a mixture of both 2D and 3D photogrammetry, cross-referencing as many photographic references as I could get my hands on.

The dimensions of each model were refined to match those seen in the available references, whilst using the known measurements of the clamp section to determine the reference scale.

This resulted in an incredibly accurate 3D model.

View attachment 1844240
View attachment 1844257
View attachment 1844255
View attachment 1844259

The internal dimensions and construction were then determined through discussions with those familiar with the original prop as well as comments and drawing made by those working within the prop department during the production of the original movies.

View attachment 1844242
View attachment 1844241

The V2 and Motorised Stunt were in fact the same physical prop.

The motorized stunt, which was originally built for the first movie, was hastily repurposed for use as Luke's second (replacement) saber in ROTJ, having lost his Graflex on Bespin (along with his hand!).

In order to make both the motorized stunt and the V2 as part of the same run, the body and emitter sections were machined as one single piece. For the motorised stunt, they were kept as one, and for the V2 the emitter was detached to allow for the spinning emitter that is present on the prop today (having been broken at some point between the two movies).

View attachment 1844363

The dents in the emitter face were added by hand using a jig which was custom made for this purpose. The jig was made by accurately modelling the damage, based on the available references and then reversing it to make a die/punch. The emitters were then pressed in a vice.

View attachment 1844366

As a personal project, I later used one of my V2 kits to create a V3 for my own collection. This was a fun project, and I was very happy with the results:

View attachment 1844243
View attachment 1844244
View attachment 1844245
View attachment 1844246

Due to the different hole placements in the body and pommel, they were filled and painted. A custom emitter was also made to account for the larger face plate and smaller bearing housing.

My V2 and V3 were my pride and joy! The V2 was particularly special, having been fitted with all vintage parts.

Unfortunately, I had to let both of these go due to unforeseen circumstances.

This is the reason for this run, and I can’t wait to be reunited with these iconic props once again!

BRIEF OVERVIEW OF THIS RUN:

This run is going to be approached from a slightly different angle this time...

For this run, I will be tackling the V2 and V3 together!

Whilst these two are entirely different props, it's notable that they were cast from the same mould, so share the same general dimensions such as ring spacing.

There are notable differences in both the Pommel and the emitter however, so these parts are being made separately.

There are differences in the body and neck sections too of course, but I am having a base part made, which can then be modified (by me) for use on either.

All parts are now “In production” and both the V2 and V3 will be made available for pre-order from the 1st of August as fully finished commissions or as a limited number of DIY kits.

More details below…

View attachment 1844254

V2:

Pommel:

It’s hard to say what the most defining characteristic of these props is, but I think the pommel is certainly one of them! I went to great lengths to ensure that my previous V2 pommel was as close to the original prop as humanly possible, paying particular attention to the “cubes”. Whilst they are all ever so slightly unique, the V2 pommel is much tidier than that of the V3. I have however endeavoured to capture any minute irregularities. I have remodelled it this time around as I wanted to alter the depth of the interior (it ended just a little too close to the boot stud hole last time). The hole itself is half a millimetre larger too, as I was having to re-drill this on my previous run in order to fit the boot stud.

It is being machined without any surface level details, which will be added later by hand as part of my weathering commission.

View attachment 1844255
View attachment 1844256

Emitter:

As the V2 Emitter is being made exclusively for use on a finished V2, I have opted this time around to have the damage machined for consistency. This will also save time when working on the finished commissions.

The dents that were painstakingly replicated in order to make my original bending jig, have this time been incorporated into the actual emitter model:

View attachment 1844257
View attachment 1844258

Once assembled the emitter will spin freely as it does on the original prop in its current form.

Body:

Dimensionally, the body section is almost identical to my previous offering. One significant change is the internal shaft. My previous V2 was made to accommodate the motorised stunt. For this reason, I allowed for more clearance than was strictly necessary for the spinning internal rod. I aired on the side of caution, as I did not want the mechanism to jam. This meant that on the V2 build, a bushing was needed in the neck section. This will not be necessary this time around. The shaft will be machined at 6mm to allow for the smaller rod that was used in the V3. I’ll be expanding this to 8mm myself for the V2s. So no bushing will be needed in order to keep everything in place.

A fraction of a millimetre has been shaved off the diameter of the clamp section, as this was just a bit of a tight fit on my previous run.

Other than that, the body section is almost identical to my previous one with accuracy details such as irregular ring spacing, unique and accurate groove depths, accurate transition between clamp and grip section (slight incline and groove), all of which were present in my previous run.

View attachment 1844259

View attachment 1844260

Clamp and Lever:

My previous V2 run included a third-party clamp (Roman Props). I was more than happy with these, but for my recent Obi Static Run I endeavoured to make as many parts as I could myself. This was for no other reason than taking on the challenge. The clamp proved to be particularly challenging! It very nearly derailed the whole run at one stage and some compromises had to be made (reluctantly!). The end result looked great, but the processes that were used were not ideal, and the cost was not at all practical. The clamp alone was costing me £90 to have made, which is three times more than some manufacturers are able to sell them for at a profit.

View attachment 1844261

This time around we are doing things a little differently! I have reverse engineered my previous clamp, and have now designed the necessary jigs to form and punch the sheet metal parts myself! These are currently “in production” along with the flat sheets.

I am determined to improve upon my previous attempt and I am aiming for nothing short of perfection!

I am extremely excited about this particular aspect of the run and cannot wait to share the results!

All clamp parts will be made using low carbon steel and then chrome plated.

My previous run incorporated a third party V2 clamp lever also. Again, I was extremely happy with these and would not hesitate to recommend WannaWanga! Roy has always been incredibly helpful and generous when supplying third party parts for my runs.

This time around though, I wanted to tackle the lever for myself. There are few clear references of the lever, sometimes giving contradictory impressions of its shape and size, I wanted to go through the process for myself and fully familiarise myself with the part. It was a fun little project, and I’m happy that I tackled it.

View attachment 1844262
View attachment 1844263

Cone:

My previous “Cone Knob” was made by referencing a genuine vintage part. Whilst I was happy with the actual work that I did in recreating it in 3D, the end result was probably my least favourite part of the actual run. There is a high degree of variation in these vintage parts, and whilst it was great to be able to reference a genuine piece, the knurling was not quite identical to that seen on the original prop. On top of this, the knurling on my model and drawings was not followed as closely as I would have liked either. This resulted in a cone knob that was OK, but certainly NOT perfect!

View attachment 1844266
View attachment 1844265

In this hobby, you quickly learn that there is always room for improvement! This is what pushes us forward!

This time around, I have taken the overall dimensions of my previous model, but completely reworked the knurling (referencing the actual prop).

View attachment 1844264

Ring:

The ring on the V2 is a very interesting shape and not one that is available off the shelf. I have had a 3D model of the actual ring since my last run, as it was modelled as part of my original overlay. So I have had the general dimensions for some time:

I considered creating a Jig in order to make these myself (as I do for my Heroes and Yumas), but I figured I would draw up some detailed drawings and approach a few manufacturers.

I’m very happy to say that I have managed to find someone to make both the V2 and V3 D-Rings at an affordable price, so my original plan of having a jig made is no longer necessary.

Boot Stud:

Over the past few years I have been collecting vintage wellington boots and waders, and I am happy to say that I have more than enough vintage boot studs for the entirety of this run:

View attachment 1844268

Clamp Card:

I’m very pleased to announce that the clamp cards for the V2 will be made by SlothFurnace. Brad has very kindly offered to make these at a discount, which has been incorporated in to the overall price of the kit.

These will be the gold plated “Vintage finish” V2 clamp cards, as seen on Slothfurnace.com

Stencils:

I was very happy with my last round of V2 Stencils, which will remain largely unaltered.

View attachment 1844269

I am currently working on a pre/early-production version of the stencils which will be finished prior to the parts arriving.

I’ll be sharing a preview of these in the form of high poly renders in the coming weeks.

V3:

Pommel:

Whilst the pommels are fairly similar and the pommel from my original V2 run made a great base for my first V3 build (with some modification), the V3 pommel, strictly speaking, should have much more irregular cube sizes, as well as a different hole placement. For this reason, I’ve opted to have the pommels machined independently to ensure absolute accuracy on both.

The V3 Pommel (like that of the V2) has been overlayed with a large number of references, so that each and every edge of every “cube” has been matched to the original prop from a large selection of high quality images. Every groove, slope and surface is completely unique, and matched perfectly with the original prop. Many of the references used are not within the public domain, so I am not able to share all of my workings unfortunately but rest assured that a thorough investigation of every detail has been done.

View attachment 1844326

Emitter:

When I built my previous V3, which was a one-off personal project, I used one of my V2’s as a base. I did have a dedicated emitter custom made for the build however, as the emitter face is noticeably wider and thinner than that of the V2 (amongst other details). For this reason, I did a full investigation at the time, and this has been the basis for my V3 emitter for this run.

View attachment 1844327

Body:

Aside from having different grub screw placements to the V2, the V3 body will require some cosmetic modifications such as offset seams, and some minor reworking of the rings and neck section.

The bodies have been designed with this in mind and are being machined so that they can be used for both. All holes will be drilled and tapped by me.

Details which are unique to the V3, such as the offset seams in the grip section, will be added also as part of the weathering process:

View attachment 1844247

Clamp and Lever:

The V3 clamp is notable for it’s additional holes and foil tape. It has both clamp bars (also foil wrapped) as well as it’s original Folmer lever.

The As mentioned above, the clamps are being made in house by me and plated here in the UK.

I have refined the lever ever so slightly based on observations of a genuine vintage Folmer clamp that I’m currently working on for a friend.

View attachment 1844328

Ring:

As with the V2, I have used the 3D environments that I have set up as part of my overlay process, to take precise measurements of the V3 D-Ring. The size (and shape) deference is stark!

View attachment 1844329

These are being manufactured to my exact specifications in stainless steel.

Clamp Card:

The V3 Clamp card will be hand made from brass strip (and electrical tape) as it appears to have been on the original prop.

COMMISSION OPTIONS:

There are a couple of different weathering options for both the V2 and the V3.

To make things simple, these can be described as:

“pre/early-production” and “post-production/Current day”

In both cases, references for post-production / current day are much more readily available.

Early production and on-set references do get a little tricky, however. So a certain degree of artistic licence is required.

The V2 changes dramatically during production. Parts are added and swapped. The paint is gradually chipped away too.

It is first seen in the deleted sandstorm scene. The body section has significantly more paint than in later scenes. There are no greebles such as the cone knob and boot stud, and the clamp is fitted with an exactra bubble strip!

View attachment 1844330

A later reference, shows that the cone knob and boot stud have been added, but the bubble strip is yet to have been swapped:

View attachment 1844331

Towards the end of filming, the V2 looks very much like it does today, albeit with slightly more paint intact.

View attachment 1844332

The current day, post-production look is the one that is most recognisable. This is how the prop looks today, with its chipped paintwork and dulled metal:

Here is an example of one of my previous “current day” weathering commissions alongside the original prop for comparison.

View attachment 1844333

The current day V3 is sometimes referred to as the “Nasa saber”. This refers to the time that it was sent into space as part of the shuttle program.

Here it is in its protective case:

View attachment 1844335

There are many available references of the V3 in it’s current form as it has appeared in various exhibitions and books over the years.

There are far fewer references of the prop during filming.

The V3 can be seen during production in the throne room scenes, as well as a couple of behind-the-scenes photographs.

View attachment 1844336

View attachment 1844337

When piecing together these various references, it is clear that the production V3 was finished to match the general beat up look of the V2, but with the clean “booster” section that we see on the I.S.Y.H.C.A.N.L. It has the signature painted grooves and sanded rings that are present across all of the ROTJ “thin neck” props.

Prior to August 1st, I will update this thread with artistic representations of both the early-production / "Sandstorm" V2, as well as the on-set / "Throne Room" V3, along with a more detailed description of each weathering option.

Work is well underway on this.

PRICE/PAYMENT:

Bellow are the prices for each kit, and a breakdown of what is included:

V2 kit - £250
  • V2 Body Section (drilled and tapped)
  • V2 Emitter/Nipple (pre-damaged)
  • V2 Pommel
  • V2 Stainless Steel D-Ring
  • Replica Michel thumbscrew / Cone knob
  • Vintage Boot Stud
  • Replica Graflex Clamp
  • V2 Lever
  • SlothFurnace V2 Clamp Card (Vintage Finish)
  • Internal rod/bearings/fixings
  • Vinyl Stencil kit
V3 Kit - £225
  • V3 Body Section (drilled and tapped)
  • V3 Emitter
  • V3 Pommel
  • V3 Stainless Steel D-Ring
  • Replica Graflex Clamp (drilled)
  • Brass V3 Clamp Card
  • Internal rod/fixings
Weathering commission – £200

This is my flat rate for all weathering commissions. The V2 commissions require more stencil work, whereas the V3 commissions require more physical damage, so they actually balance themselves out. I figured it would be simpler to charge this flat rate, regardless of kit / weathering option.

Weathering commissions will be charged upon completion, along with shipping.

Current prices for shipping via UPS (subject to change*):

• UK - £16
  • EU - £22
  • USA - £30
  • Canada - £30
  • Australia - £38
  • Japan - £28
  • China - £28
*These are rough estimates based on current UPS prices and include full insurance up to £1000.

Shipping will be charged upon completion of any weathering commission or when DIY parts are ready to be shipped.

Please be aware that UK sales are subject to VAT unfortunately, which will be charged at checkout. I realise that this is frustrating for UK customers, but please bear in mind that this does not go to me and is collected on behalf of the government. Being VAT registered does bring down my costs (and therefore the starting price).

For international sales, any import duty / taxes are the responsibility of the buyer.

Transaction fees have been accounted for in the above prices.

Both PayPal and Stripe (card) payments are accepted on my store. Card payments are preferable as the fees are lower, but I understand that PayPal gives additional payment options as well as buyer protection, so obviously use whichever is most convenient for you.

RUN STRUCTURE:

** This part is VERY important!...**

Please be aware that this run is being structured differently to my previous ones.

I have ordered parts for a limited number of both V2 and V3 hilts.

These will be made available for “Pre-Order” on the 1st of August. (Midday-UK time)

How long the waiting period is will depend greatly upon the order in which they are claimed.

The parts are currently “In Production” and should be arriving with me throughout August.

The clamp parts will be arriving with me first and are already in quality control! I will be forming these and sending them to be plated while we await the arrival of the machined parts.

I will then be breaking down the run into manageable batches and working my way through them throughout the rest of this year.

I expect the first batch to be completed and sent out in September, but please bear in mind that the final batch could well be towards the end of the year.

Hopefully this is acceptable to all those who are considering taking part in the run.

I will be listing a limited number of DIY kits as part of the run. These will be shipped out as soon as they are ready.

DIY kits and Fully Weathered commissions will be listed at the same price on the store, as weathering commissions will be invoiced separately along with shipping. This second and final invoice will be sent out at the time of shipping.

This breaks up the cost for you, but also provides a regular income throughout the year for me, allowing me to restock on paints/chemicals, etc (and pay the bills!).

I will not be putting a strict timescale on commissions, as these things really do take as long as they take and cannot be rushed. I am aiming (roughly), to work through one batch per month, but I guess we’ll see how things progress. I will ALWAYS do my upmost to keep you informed with regular updates.

All parts are now ordered and “in production”. The first part has actually arrived which came as a shock! It was just the clamp washer though, so there are still a few things to come in yet!

The sheet metal parts for the clamps are in QC though and should be arriving way in advance of the aluminium parts. This will give me a window of time in which to form the parts and send them for plating.

I’m very excited to share the results of this process in the coming weeks.

Outstanding Hero / Yuma / I.S.Y.H.C.A.N.L commissions from my previous run are nearing completion and will be shipping next week. So from August 1st, up until 2025, I’ll be focussed 100% on this run!

Once orders have been taken, I will organise the run in to batches and will inform everyone as to which batch they fall in to.

I’d just like to say a huge THANK YOU! to everyone for your kind words of support and for your interest in this run!

It’s always a pleasure to work on these for you and I can’t wait to get started!

View attachment 1844361

All the best and as always, MTFBWY!

Dave
Did I miss the V2
Drop completely???

Hello all.

This is an update that I sent out to all those who are participating in this V2/ V3 run, as well as to those who have signed up for the mailing list.

I am just posting it here on the thread for anyone who might have missed it.

Apologies for the lack of a significant update this week.

Work continues of course, and there have been many developments behind the scenes. I have had a particularly difficult week this week however due to an unexpected family emergency.

Without going in to too much detail, my mum was taken ill and is currently in the hospital fighting off a serious infection (and sepsis). So, I have had to take some time out to visit as often as I can, whilst keeping up with work.

Clamps are very nearly ready however, so everything is still very much on target.

I have a little production line going in my workshop and the sheet metal parts are coming out great.

I’ve taken an extra close look at the hole placements and sizes for the V3 clamp too (at the request of Chris Scott). Chris suggested I did an additional investigation in to this specifically and provided additional references to get this 100% accurate. Suffice to say, they are not all the same size (or distance from the edge). Thanks, Chris!

I will be making a template for drilling the V3 clamps this week and getting the first batch of V3 Clamps drilled.

I am currently in possession of a vintage Folmer clamp, which is just passing through. I took the opportunity to compare, and I have to say that I am more than happy with how the sheet metal parts are turning out:

CLAMP COMPARISON.jpg

Another exciting development this morning as I checked in on the parts, and Aluminium parts have moved from “producing parts” in to “Quality Control”, so those will be shipping very soon!

Steel Parts such as V3 and V2 levers are still “in production” but scheduled for completion this week!

As soon as I have ALL clamp parts in hand, I will be heading over to the platers in person to have them plated.

Whilst the clamps are in for plating, I will then be busy throughout September preparing the small batch of DIY kits, along with the first batch of weathering commissions.

I have now organised the entire run in to four manageable batches:

· Batch One (September)
· Batch Two (October)
· Batch Three (November)
· Batch Four (December)

I have additional parts for Batch five (Jan 2025) and Batch Six (Feb 2025).

For the time being though, I am not taking pre-orders for these. I would like to complete at least Batch One (on schedule) before releasing these for pre-order. That way, we will know for sure that everything is running according to plan, and people won’t be waiting too long for their orders.

So, if all goes to plan, and Batch One is completed on time, I expect to list the last remaining stock on October 1st (for completion early 2025).

I’ll be contacting everyone separately very shortly to inform them of their position in the run, and to confirm their weathering preferences. (y)

Please keep an eye out for that email (now sent) and respond when you’ve decided between current day and early -production weathering.

Just a brief update this week as there isn’t too much to report since last week.

Other tasks have been ticked off the list though:

· Brad has finished and shipped the first batch of V2 Clamp Cards (Thanks, Brad!)
· Brass strip for V3 Clamp Cards has arrived
· Internal rods for V3 and V2 have arrived
· Grub screws and other fixings have been ordered
· Vinyl for stencils has arrived and I have begun cutting V2 stencils
· Foam inserts for shipping have been ordered

So under the circumstances, a fairly productive week!

Signing off for now though and will be back with another update next weekend (Hopefully with images of the main parts!).

Thank you all again for your incredible support!

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions relating to the run.

All the best, and MTFBWY!

Dave

For the V2, I'm confident in my decision to order the Post Production (Current Day) version but I am having the hardest time deciding which V3 to get. I've only ever seen the NASA version of it but I'm intrigued by the production version. What's everyone else choosing?

For the V2, I'm confident in my decision to order the Post Production (Current Day) version but I am having the hardest time deciding which V3 to get. I've only ever seen the NASA version of it but I'm intrigued by the production version. What's everyone else choosing?

Post-Production personally. As nasty as it is, feels like the most recognizable and iconic to me :p

Edit: Although I think the Post-Production State is more iconic, I decided to go with a Production weathering. I think I will feel more comfortable with that.

Last edited:
Back