Done / Completed Shawshank Redemption - Rock Hammer

And since I'm such a perfectionist and wanted the handles to be a bit more flat, like seen in this picture of the screen used hammer:

View attachment 1830330
I took a block of wood with some sanding paper and sanded the rather rounded handles a bit flatter. VERY happy with how this came out! Just needs a few extra layers of oil and it will be the perfect replica!

View attachment 1830329

The building quality if those hammers seems to be very good, so if people want to try to flatten the handles themselves: don't be afraid to do so! Or just leave it like it is, that's also a possibility. ;-)

This was always the version that I was aiming for. Boxy-er look, flat faces on the handles. The striking end of the hammer (see highlighted area in photo) was much less pronounced. The bevels are very small vs. the other hammer auctioned off.

The hammer head was also attached to the metal portion of the handle differently. It appears as though they felt like it needed a stronger weld joint so they added reinforcement in the other area highlighted in the photo. Then just angled a cut to the underside of the handles to account for this and create a flush fit. I never liked this detail or look and it was missing from every other hammer, so I skipped it.

Attachments

• 1718375748206b.png
    1718375748206b.png
    766.1 KB · Views: 47
Absolutely LOVE mine! Very well constructed and it just looks like I could tunnel through a wall with it. WELL DONE!

If you would want, you could grind down the striking end of the hammer a bit, to make the bevels less than how they are now. Bot I'm not going to do that with mine. I would need a sanding belt / machine for that and I don't have this available. Sanding that part down by hand would be way too much work ;-).

I also played around with staining the wood and make it a bit more yellow-ish and quite happy with the result. The picture does not reflect the actual color very well, but it might give an idea:

1718460534190.jpeg

I use just tea with some kurkuma to stain it. Only thing missing is some gloss and some more dirt and grime to make it perfect. No idea yet how to go for the gloss. I don't really want to varnish the handle. I'd like to get the gloss on there on a more "natural" way. If someone has some tips, let me know!

My hammer arrived. Very nice job. Thank you...

I wondered how heavy it is. Are there any Informations about the weight of the screenused hammer?

A bible that heavy would make me, as a prison director, skeptical... ;)

Hi guys, I'll show you in some days the second run hammers.
These have a fix on the back of the hammer to be 100% screen accurate. You'll see soon;)

Ok guys, this is the Rock Hammer V2.

Compared to the one I previously released, this hammer has been revised in two parts: the back of the metal top and the central part of the main wooden body.
Regarding the back of the top, in the previous version, it was made in a square shape, while in the screen-used hammer, this part is rectangular.
As for the central part of the body, I hadn’t noticed that the original is much thinner. So, I’ve made these two adjustments.

I'll attach some pics, you can find old hammer on left and the new one on right. I also attach a pics of the original so you can see the thinner part of body and compare with the Hammer V2.
Let me know what you think ;)

IMG_7790.jpg

IMG_7791.jpg

IMG_7792.jpg

ae55152bfec4eddf93f8a859b7ef85c4.jpg

Looks like great improvements! Did you also flatten these parts a bit more? That's what I sanded down on my "V1" ;) to make it a bit more accurate. But adjusting the hammer head is already a big improvement in my opinion. The woodwork kan always be sanded to preference, but changing the metal is quite a bit harder off course...

1726856497501.png

Back